Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I've just bought a Dremel 8000, and...

2 posters

Go down

I've just bought a Dremel 8000, and... Empty I've just bought a Dremel 8000, and...

Post  Cowley Wed May 23, 2012 10:50 am

...I need some advice about what additional tools and accessories that I will need. scratch

The main reason I acquired the Dremel is to remove front bibs, and the lump (behind the plastic door pods) on diecast Metro 6R4 models. With a little more confidence and practice I also might try and produce an open version along the lines of Olivier's and Vitor's - but I think I'll try and walk first, before I start trying to run! Wink

Apparently, the box already includes 60 accessories, but I gather that the majority of these are pretty much useless for what we require, so any advice, links, recommended sellers, etc regarding what else I'll need - OR really cannot do without! - would therefore be very much appreciated. Very Happy

Many thanks!
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

I've just bought a Dremel 8000, and... Empty Re: I've just bought a Dremel 8000, and...

Post  Hampton Caught Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

David,

I've used a diamond cutting disc for the exact same works you're describing on your 6R4 model. I bought it from my local(ish) model shop and it's served me well removing the front splitters from two die cast body shells, the rear valence from my Rob Gibson model and hacking back the pods on the rear wing immediately behind the door pod. (I then grafted on the front of the door pod so it finished in line with the door shut line(ish) and gave a good quality detail there). I cut through the plastic door pod with another, thinner cutting disc with teeth to get a nice, clean cut.

The diamond cutting disc has been very useful for cutting through the die cast metal using the edge of the disc as well as filing down flat edges using the faces of the disc itself. I owe myself another cutting disc, though, as it's not as sharp as it originally was! I haven't got the details of the disc in front of me but will dig them out for you, David.

Hope that's of assistance, and have fun with your Dremmel. On a related note, I've seen a Dremmel-branded clamp which attaches to your table/ work bench/ dashboard ( Laughing ) to either hold the material you're working on securely in place or to hold the Dremmel itself whilst you manoeuvre the material you're working on around it. I'm going to get one of these myself, as I'd rather use a clamp than have to attend A&E for them to re-attach my fingers! bom Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

I've just bought a Dremel 8000, and... Empty Re: I've just bought a Dremel 8000, and...

Post  Cowley Thu May 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Many thanks for the advice Steve - that all sounds fairly straight forward.

I think I'll have just have a play with a spare shell as soon as my Dremel arrives, and see how I get on - a 6R4 front bib will be the first to come off, and then I'll try the lump behind the door pod. For the car I'm working on at the moment though, I only need to take the front bib off, so the door pod area 'Chain Saw Masacre' can wait till the next one.

Cheers fella!
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Thu May 24, 2012 1:47 pm

David, sounds intriguing! I'm guessing that you could be working on a damaged car but could it be a rally car or a rallycross car? Hang on, we didn't get far with the cross-examination on another thread, so I'll be patient and let you surprise us with your current project. And I'll surprise myself by remembering the details of the cutting disc when I get home! Shocked

Isn't Father's Day around the corner? I might drop a hint about the Dremmel Multi Vice (only £29.99 at Amazon!) to my family! They might argue that every day is father's Day, and given my recent spate of model-related purcheses, they'd have a point! Embarassed

Link to the Multi-Vice, is here..... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-26152500JA-Multi-Vice/dp/B000QG79ZW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337863498&sr=8-2 and no, I'm not on commission!

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Mon May 28, 2012 9:17 am

My Dremel's arrived! Shocked I cannot wait to get home and start 'grinding' lol! Wink

PS - That clamp looks neat Steve. Wink
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon May 28, 2012 10:32 am

Excellent, David. Let us know how you get on with your new toy tool!

I promised you the details of the cutting disc I use and here they are: 40mm Diamond Disc With Mandrel (by Expo, reference number 15561) which was £5 at my local model shop. I suspect I could get them cheaper on line but I prefer to support local businesses... and expertise, especially in niche areas such as model shops!

I've learnt something through all this.... the right way to spell 'Dremel' Very Happy Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:36 pm

David, I now have a 'Dremel Multi Vise' which is in time for Father's Day. I took the liberty of opening it up last night to check all was OK and decided it was worth trying it out, purely for research purposes, on a 6R4 bodyshell! Shocked

Pleased to say the vice is superb. I didn't need to use the table-top attachment as the vice jaws sat on the table securely and I was able to grind away the splitter from the bottom of the front bumper in one go. Lovely! Cool

Put the vice back in the box and I know, for certain, that it's exactly what this father wants for Father's Day! Thoroughly recommend this bit of kit. Was £26 and some pence through Amazon, delivered. Superb! Very Happy

Cheers, and 'happy grinding', Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down