Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paint baking tip

+3
Cess
Cazzo
RORY O CONNOR
7 posters

Go down

Paint baking tip Empty Paint baking tip

Post  RORY O CONNOR Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Woops-tried to speed up the paint job on an M3-by baking it in the oven at 150. Discovered the paint comes out all shiney but also discovered the plastic boot spoilers melt! Rolling Eyes
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Paint baking tip Empty Re: Paint baking tip

Post  Cazzo Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:03 pm

It's a ballix when that happens Rory, I did the same with an M3 I was baking,
I had the spoiler off the model but forgot about the door mirrors!! they are not too bad but if it's parked beside another M3 you can see the difference,

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cess Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Typically, what temperature is ideal? I was using about 80 degrees

Cess

Back to top Go down

Post  Cazzo Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:02 pm

I only tried it the once because I didn't have enough hardener in the mix, I used 2Pack lacquer on this one and it was still soft the next day!!,
I set the oven to 100 degrees and let it run for 15 mins then put the model in and turned the oven off but left the light on so I could see what was going on,
While the model was in there I boiled the kettle and made a coffee Smile
After about 10 mins I took the model out and let it cool, really it only got about 10 mins in the oven while the oven was on cool down,
I think this is all it needs as too much heat can cause the paint finish to go dull or satin looking,

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  daivideo Tue May 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Did the plastic bits survive at that temperature or did you let them dry naturally?
daivideo
daivideo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cazzo Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 pm

I had the plastic parts removed so it was just the shell that went in to the oven,
The plastic bits sit in the hotpress on the shelf above the water tank, I let them sit in there for about a day,
If I have to leave the plastic parts on the model then the whole lot goes in the hotpress over night,

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Just watch when oven baking too as you can get air bubbles breaking out on the shell
when i had gas oven it was pre heated at gas mark 5 for 15 mins then turned off.

Now I heat the unpainted shell up till hot.
jug of boiling kettle water and put the aerosol in for 30 secs, spray on then back in the jug for a bit keeping the pressure up in the tin while the shell is baking the paint hard

Back to top Go down

Post  modelrallysport.com Thu May 10, 2012 1:14 am

all i use is a "heat lamp"------------car inspection lamp----------- with 500w halogen bulb this heats shell up very well----------i heat rattle can up first in front of heat lamp then before final "wet coat" i put can into bowl of hot water for final coat

modelrallysport.com

http://www.modelrallysport.com

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:22 am

Just re-reading this thread as what little hair i have left is about to be pulled out. I'm on my 4th attempt at painting a diecast shell in two colours - i'm rattle canning so i know that's part of the issue (too thick) but even leaving it for a week before remasking to the 2nd colour, when i eventually unmask i am left with inprints in the first colour from the masking tape. It is driving me insane.

I think i am going to try and bake the car after spraying - before doing so, is the boss going to go ballistic and start complaining about paint smells in the oven?
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 am

paul, one wee hint col gave me specific to what you're doing, applying masking tape over newly-painted surface..........................stick the masking tape to your jeans a couple of times before applying to the model, this takes away a great amount of its stickiness, but will still do the job...easier removed, and less chance of damage to paint.... Smile 
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:14 am

You don't get that sort of advice at b&q! Thanks
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:58 pm

indeed m8!!! lol!