Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lawrence Gibson Rallycross 6R4 Decal Experiment

3 posters

Go down

Lawrence Gibson Rallycross 6R4 Decal Experiment Empty Lawrence Gibson Rallycross 6R4 Decal Experiment

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Right!  Time to get experimental with my decalling! 

Have made a start on a 1/43 scale model of Lawrence Gibson's 2008 British Rallycross Championship-winning MG Metro 6R4. bounce   see library picture:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've made the necessary 'adjustments' to the diecast body (using the default 'Rally Car Collection' donor car) by removing the door pods and their supports, removed the front splitter and added a roof-mounted air intake and having removed the glazing, have filled the round holes to the rear lights.  I'm very pleased with the air intake - I scored a light line up the centre of the roof before marking the front and rear limits then side limits of the intake before using fine Milliput (a sasuage-shape flattened off and 'encouraged' into shape with the help of a little water to make the final surfacing smooth.

I've sprayed the car inside and out with Rover 'Trophy Yellow' paint and am about to set sail on the decals.  This is the tricky part!  My intention is to use decals to 'paint' the shell red and blue, with the necessary sponsors names/ logos and racing numbers - printing the blue and red panels on to white decal paper, panel by panel!  The Microsol will help the decal paper adapt to the contours of the bodywork.

Has anyone else done this and of so, have you any advice?   scratch   I'll let you know how I get on and hope to send a pic or two of progress to Paul to add to this thread.  The exact model I'm making is the one as appears in Colin McRae Dirt 2 and 3 on the PS3.  I've taken a load of pictures of the TV screen from different angles and will use these as far as possible to make the graphics for printing.  Here goes.......  Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Lawrence Gibson Rallycross 6R4 Decal Experiment Empty Re: Lawrence Gibson Rallycross 6R4 Decal Experiment

Post  Admin Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:26 pm

If it helps Steve, I have the pc version of Dirt 2, and can open up the files that have the skin (Livery/paintjob) all laid out on a sheet. I can convert it to jpeg and send it over aswell as get plenty more from around the model in the game if you like? May be better than the pics you got from your camera off the tv.

Admin
Admin

https://www.diecastrallymodels.com

Back to top Go down

Lawrence Gibson Rallycross 6R4 Decal Experiment Empty Re: Lawrence Gibson Rallycross 6R4 Decal Experiment

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi Nicky, I will definitely take you up on your offer, thank you! 

There is some pixelation on the photos (being close to the screen, I guess this was bound to happen) but figured they wouldn't show too much by the time I've shrunk the images down to size, but the skin jpegs would be infinitely preferable.

Thanks very much, Nicky.  What a star!!!  cheers  Shall I send you a PM with my email address or do you still have it?

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Steve, if you can pm me your email address, and I will try and get some images and then send them in an email tomorrow Smile

Admin
Admin

https://www.diecastrallymodels.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Nicky,

PM sent.  'Mucky Buckets', as the French wouldn't say!  Laughing  Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon6R4 Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:16 am

Hi Steve, if you get the decals sorted I would be interested in a set if you are printing one or sets ;)Would be nice to add another different 6R4 to the Rallycross collection Very Happy
Simon6R4
Simon6R4

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 pm

I know exactly what you mean, Simon. 

Can't promise anything at the mo'.  I've labelled this an experiment quite deliberately.  I'll see how I get on and feedback here.

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down