Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Membership two year evaluation

+13
David Napier
Ted Creedon
143models.com
bmd
CDM
mconboy
jimb
Hampton Caught
newt5550
Speedy
Zeus
reeft1
brian
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Forum Membership two year evaluation - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum Membership two year evaluation

Post  David Napier Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Brian, I am honestly surprised if someone left here over the fees, I never expected that would happen, 24 months for less than the price of a magazine? If it can continue to be the resourse it is then it's fantastic value for those who use it right. My thoughts and ramblings were regarding efforts to encourage new folk in, in all things in life there is a natural wastage, people moving on from here to new hobbies is 100% normal and to be expected, but IMO and seemingly mine alone Shocked all is well here and the lack of new blood is no concern! Very Happy

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Forum Membership two year evaluation - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum Membership two year evaluation

Post  brian Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Your opinion is valuable David, even more so as you have a different point view on things. Ill admit the forum as become a little slower lately hence the reason for the thread and changes.

Ive been playing around with some of the settings on the admin side and discovered a few new features that I hadnt noticed before. Ive made some changes regarding access and rights to the forum and I will detail them below. This coupled with a facebook advertising campaign that im still researching will hopefully bring some new blood to the forum.

Changes Ive made regarding access:
You had to register to view the forum before today. Guests can now view the below threads (except those for members only) but cannot reply. They still must register to be able to reply and use the PM system

New Members - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
General Chat - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
Rally news and Events - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
Look What I Found - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
For Sale - Still members only to view and post. Guests and users will not even see the section. If we can get some traders back selling, a new section could be opened
Wanted - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
Model collections - Still members only to view and post. Guests and users will not even see the section
New Arrivals - Still members only to view and post. Guests and users will not even see the section
Models in Progress - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
Tutorials - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
Decals - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
Model building help/advice - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
Picture gallery/videos - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post
Links - Guests can only view. Users and Members can view/post

The plan for the facebook page is to use it as a presence on facebook only. I would hope to just update that page with a snippet of info with a link back to the forum for the full info. This page can then be used as advertising on facebook where I can control the amount per day (I think by the amount of clicks) spent to advertise that page. I would hope for plenty of shares by users here also on facebook, and also pictures etc to put on that page attract people back here. This should work out cheaper than the advert in the magazine + a lot more coverage outside the magazines distribution area. I have the page set up, but need to populate it with content before it goes public. If anyone would like to put their pictures up there let me know

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:27 pm

good stuff brian, that sounds fair enough.....like anything, its impossible to please everyone all the time but i'm sure i speak for the whole forum when i say we know u have the best interests of our site at heart, so work away m8.... Smile
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:56 pm

And so say all of me Billy! Brian does a critical and invaluable job and i'm 100% behind his ultimate decisions.

My only remaining (repeated) observation and based on what attracted me to the original forum is related to the pictures of the model cars. Ultimately, its what this forum is about. As I've acknowledged previously, im very sensitive to forum members concerns about collections being stolen (and i recall at least one forum member suffering this painful event) but if there was a way to anonymously post pictures of some of the fantastic collections to show what can be bought or built (with commitment or effort) then that would surely attract more interest.

Best regards

Paul
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:31 am

Sorry folks I have been somewhat preoccupied of late and have not participated in the discussion. I just want to express my thanks to Brian for his dedication to keeping the "show on the road". As for opening up sections of the forum and in particular the collections section I still bemoan the fact that I cannot access the original forum and the photos of Xav's collections. As someone who has had models stolen can I say that it is almost certain that the culprits did not have the IQ to turn on a computer not to mind accessing this forum or any other one for that matter. Facebook's success is built on photos while this forum has the photo element but also the benefits of like minded "addicts".

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  Speedy Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:49 am

Just a thought on the photos idea, would it be possible to set up a flickr (or similar) account under the forum name. The username and password is shared with those who want to contribute to the album therefore the idendity of the person uploading photos should be kept anonymous.
Speedy
Speedy

http://www.peespeed.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:49 am

I just logged out to see what all I could access and I like what you've done Brian! IMO it feels much more welcoming when you can access something straight off as a newbie 1st time visitor. I really hope these changes work well as I'm not really a facebook person!

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:48 pm

Speedy wrote:Just a thought on the photos idea, would it be possible to set up a flickr (or similar) account under the forum name. The username and password is shared with those who want to contribute to the album therefore the idendity of the person uploading photos should be kept anonymous.

Not a bad shout at all! If there was a new section along the lines of Model Collections for Non-Paying Members with a single link to the Flikr account and the first picture on Flikr could be a message explaining that if you pay £3 you will get access to the full membership model collection section plus sales etc. but in the meantime here is a taster etc....
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:51 pm

Fickr may work, we do have a gallery on the forum but space is very small (extra space can be bought on a monthly basis) images cannot be post anonymously, the username is still attached. Flickr may solve this since all the images would be under the DRM account name.

I can open up the whole model collections section (and the rest that are still closed off) so anyone can view or post in there and create a sub category/new section limited to members. This will mean we have a section to have open for all to see, and a section only members can see.

That raises another issue about the fee. There is not a lot to tempt people into actually paying as there is very little benifit to doing so. I can scrap fee completely and have it back open to all again, we have the funds to support the place for a while regarding running costs, printing flyers, advertising etc

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:28 pm

My fee for this year has gone already. Automatic payment set up yearly in Paypal Embarassed
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:43 pm

newt5550 wrote:My fee for this year has gone already. Automatic payment set up yearly in Paypal Embarassed

Mine too. Ill refund any for this year if we do get rid of the fees. There have been a few coming in the last few days but most would be march

Back to top Go down

Post  Speedy Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:50 pm

Mine went through as well, more than happy to let it sit in the kitty
Speedy
Speedy

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Ditto
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Speedy Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:42 pm

Any way to hide this thread, just noticed that guests can also see this so might be a bit put out if they read some of the comments
Speedy
Speedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Brian, as and when mine goes through, please keep it to help towards running costs, as originally intended. Cool

Had a bit of a shock just now - none of the buttons were there to reply/ quote etc. Then noticed the 'log in' sign and realised I had been browsing 'from outside'!!

Brian, as you may know, I'm not good at putting photos on the Forum, but Chris (CDM) had posted a load of my rallycross builds on a thread last May/ June time. I'd be happy for any of those to be included on Facebook if they entic enew folks (or returning old ones) back here! Wink

Cheers, Steve (and thanks again Brian for keeping us going!)
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:48 pm

brian wrote:
newt5550 wrote:My fee for this year has gone already. Automatic payment set up yearly in Paypal Embarassed

Mine too. Ill refund any for this year if we do get rid of the fees. There have been a few coming in the last few days but most would be march

I'm not fussed Brian. Was just a general comment. Like others said previously somewhere, if the money can't be spent, give it to charity.
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:43 pm

Hey, I'm with you all for another 12 months again! cheers
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2