Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Horton RIP

3 posters

Go down

John Horton RIP Empty John Horton RIP

Post  CDM Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:21 am

John Horton RIP

Every rally person in Britain and Ireland will know the name John Horton

Working for Dunlop Tyres in his early days with the rally tyres, he also navigated in Ireland few times for Billy Coleman & Jimmy McRae.

Laterly John Horton Motorsport Management looked after the Dealer Vauxhall & Opel Teams and then many more

I believe he was also chief press officer for the British GP for many years a post he retired from last year.

But if you dont know John personally you will have heard his voice giving the commentary at the start and finish ramp of all International and National Rallies in the UK for many many years

I first met John at Motor 100 at Silverstone in 1985 or 86 was it. I had a model display in the IRDC motorhome home area and he asked if I could do some models for him.....could I decal 100 x Vitesse Andrews Heat for Hire Opel Mantas!!!!!!! to hand out to the reps...it was my first comission.

As some of you know my partner in crime at the last few Rally Days at Castle Coombe and at Race Retros has been John. Sadly John had a heart attack the week before Race Retro 2016 and sadly pased away on Friday 27th.

I was chuffed when John first asked me to share these stands. We both had strengths and weaknesses but together it was a good team effort and great fun.

John Horton has left the (rally) stage..

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

John Horton RIP Empty Re: John Horton RIP

Post  JOB Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Chris,
I am so sorry for your loss.
When I first ventured across the Irish Sea to compete in the UK I met John and was (and still am) blown away by the fact that he knew who I was ( a relative nobody). I am not ashamed to say I shed a tear when I heard of his passing as he was one of the friendly faces in UK rallying and an absolute gentleman to boot. May he rest in peace.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Well said Chris, and I am sure John would have approved of your desire to 'see out' your Race Retro autojumble stand plans in his absence, and the kind and thought provoking tribute that you have just penned on his departure. I know more of him, than I knew him myself, but he certainly seemed to be another of the good ones, again taken far too soon.

R.I.P. John Horton.
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:06 pm

FYI

Obituaries appear in this weeks Motorsport News 2/3 and Autosport 3/3 to John Horton

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down