Making headlights from scratch?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Making headlights from scratch?

Post  Zeus on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Any ideas how to do this? This is for a new car with a few contours not as simple as a flat piece of plastic
avatar
Zeus

Posts : 2257
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 34
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Making headlights from scratch?

Post  reeft1 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:32 pm

I have a few thoughts Dave. Will clear lenses be okay? The way i'd do it would be a bit fiddly, and probably expensive if you don't already have the kit, but you could cast them in clear resin.
avatar
reeft1

Posts : 2390
Join date : 2012-02-14
Age : 48
Location : Essex

Back to top Go down

Re: Making headlights from scratch?

Post  CDM on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Dave

I use a two part 5 minute epoxy glue called Devcon.

You should be able to find it on line.

There is a tube of clear and a tube of hardner.

Dont try and fill in the headlight in one go. Squeeze out a small bit from each tube and I use a wooden cocktail stick slowly roll the two together. If you wind it up too fast you create air bubbles, so mix it carefully.

When you are ready use the stick to drop some into the headlight area. If you need more to fill in the hole let the first lot dry properly. Use a wet finger to smooth out the final shape.

It works I have done loads of healdights this way.

Good luck...

Cheers
Chris

CDM

Posts : 924
Join date : 2012-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Making headlights from scratch?

Post  Zeus on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:03 pm

CDM wrote:Dave

I use a two part 5 minute epoxy glue called Devcon.

You should be able to find it on line.

There is a tube of clear and a tube of hardner.

Dont try and fill in the headlight in one go. Squeeze out a small bit from each tube and I use a wooden cocktail stick slowly roll the two together. If you wind it up too fast you create air bubbles, so mix it carefully.

When you are ready use the stick to drop some into the headlight area. If you need more to fill in the hole let the first lot dry properly. Use a wet finger to smooth out the final shape.

It works I have done loads of healdights this way.

Good luck...

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris, does it dry clear?
avatar
Zeus

Posts : 2257
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 34
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Making headlights from scratch?

Post  Zeus on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:05 pm

reeft1 wrote:I have a few thoughts Dave. Will clear lenses be okay? The way i'd do it would be a bit fiddly, and probably expensive if you don't already have the kit, but you could cast them in clear resin.  

Thatts a good shout Paul, hadnt thought of that. Laughing
avatar
Zeus

Posts : 2257
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 34
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Making headlights from scratch?

Post  CDM on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Dave

It dries clear BUT only if you mix it slowly. If you wind it up to much it will have small air bubbles in it.

Try it on a piece of card

Chris

CDM

Posts : 924
Join date : 2012-02-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Making headlights from scratch?

Post  Zeus on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:54 pm

CDM wrote:Dave

It dries clear BUT only if you mix it slowly. If you wind it up to much it will have small air bubbles in it.

Try it on a piece of card

Chris

Thank you Chris Cool
avatar
Zeus

Posts : 2257
Join date : 2012-02-06
Age : 34
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Making headlights from scratch?

Post  Mark Lowe on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:20 pm

clear plastic card comes in different thickness's cut n shape
avatar
Mark Lowe

Posts : 3010
Join date : 2012-10-19
Age : 44
Location : Middlesbrough,

Back to top Go down

Re: Making headlights from scratch?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum