2018 plans and projects in the pipeline...

Go down

2018 plans and projects in the pipeline...

Post  Cowley on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 pm

Evening gents,

I have been mulling over a few ideas in my head for a while now, and I really want to push on with two of those over the next few weeks and months. As well as my current range of 'Limited Edition & Special Order 1/43 scale models and decals', CODE343 is also going to be broadening it's range, and branching out into silicone moulding and resin casting at first, to be followed later in the year by 3D modelling and printing.

A great deal of background research has been done into moulding and casting so far, and the raw materials are on the way to me as I type this. The first two masters have been created, and it is these which - if they turn out as good as I am hoping they do - will be available to purchase should anybody have a need for them. If not, then they will simply be used to develop and refine the various stages of the process.

I am aware that Simon (Jones) has also produced some superb resin cast Metro 6R4 rallycross bodyshells, but has anyone else had a dabble in 'the art', and if so, do you have any tips or recommendations that I might find useful?

Additional 1/43 scale MG Metro 6R4 decal sets will be added to the current CODE343 range in the next couple of weeks - watch this space...
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 plans and projects in the pipeline...

Post  reeft1 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

My own limited experience was covered in this thread from a few years back David.

http://www.diecastrallymodels.com/t3930-mould-making?highlight=mould
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  brian on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 pm

Gave it a try a few years ago. Making your mould is the most important thing. Once you plan out what you need, decide on where your pour spot will be and if you need any extra spouts to let out any air.

Second thing is to degas the resin after you pour it in. Loads of tutorials on pouring correctly to degas, but you can make a cheap degasing chamber really quickly using a vacuum storage bag

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal the 2nd on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 am

Will watch developments with interest! Just seen that Trofeu are re-releasing the Marlboro liveried Celica with "3d printed lamp pod" so when the mainstream boys are getting in on the act it shows it its the way to go.

Sal the 2nd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:00 am

reeft1 wrote:My own limited experience was covered in this thread from a few years back David.

http://www.diecastrallymodels.com/t3930-mould-making?highlight=mould
Well, there's a thing, Paul! Shocked

I had forgotten all about that 2013/2014 thread - even though I actually contributed to it at the time, and expressed an interest in also having a go myself, as well. Reading it through all these years on, it's quite encouraging to see what results your ended up with, and photos of the various stages are also immensely helpful too. They not only answer some questions, but also generate others in equal measures.

Many thanks for your input, and for reminding me of the thread.
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 am

brian wrote:Gave it a try a few years ago. Making your mould is the most important thing. Once you plan out what you need, decide on where your pour spot will be and if you need any extra spouts to let out any air.

Second thing is to degas the resin after you pour it in. Loads of tutorials on pouring correctly to degas, but you can make a cheap degasing chamber really quickly using a vacuum storage bag
Thank you to yourself also, Brian.

I see you also got involved in that old thread that Paul linked too. Wink I guess moulding and casting is pretty much like life in general on so many levels, ie the final quality is all dependant on the quality of the original. If the silicone substance is so 'fluid' - or 'milky' as you described it, Paul - then it will literally run and find any minute bit of detail, to your advantage and disadvantage!

Many thanks for your input, Brian.
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 am

Sal the 2nd wrote:Will watch developments with interest! Just seen that Trofeu are re-releasing the Marlboro liveried Celica with "3d printed lamp pod" so when the mainstream boys are getting in on the act it shows it its the way to go.
3D modelling and printing is a much more distant 'wish', Chris.

I have downloaded some software though, and plan to attempt to draw a few simple shapes first, and see how 'user-friendly' the package is to develop those into more complicated shapes. Wheels and dashboards are my main area of focus for 3D modelling and printing if I do manage to master the art to a suitable quality, however.
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

'DC' has been shopping today!...  Wink

Lego, check!
Plasticine, check!
Vaseline, check!
Modelling tools, check!
Kitchen tiles, check!
White Spirit, check!
Stainless steel mixing bowls, check!
Domed nuts, check!

Two-Part Mould Making Silicone and Two-Part Casting Resin on the way, check!
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm

hope no-one reads that out of context david, items 3 and 8 might get them wondering what you do in your man-cave!! scratch lol!
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:09 pm

I did wonder about mentioning the petroleum jelly based lubricant at the time, Billy - but domed nuts never even crossed my mind! lol!
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 pm

my bad mind david, apologies from this side of the water..... Embarassed lol!
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:08 pm

It's all in your mind, Billy!!

Very interested to follow what you have planned, David. Whether decals or bigger things, I'll keep my eyes open.

Have been pondering the resin route on and off for two or three years and more recently, 3D printing. Had been hatching plans with Jordan Bowes, rallycross driver back in late October last year but he was killed in a road accident the following day so we didn't get anywhere, sadly. Evil or Very Mad

Question is, what are you going to be making from your resin-related purchases, I wonder? Consideroing your earlier comment about Simon's 6R4s, I'm wonderign if you're going the Rover SD1 route and making each of the runners in the Austin Rover Rallysprint event from Donnigton Park? After all, they used the same car with different decals for each of the drivers?

Whatever, I'm very interested to see what you have in the pipeline - just don't keep us waiting too long! drunken

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum