Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bryan Brophy - RIP

+10
Sal the 2nd
CDM
sbuckley
Zeus
RORY O CONNOR
brian
bmd
turn the wheel
reeft1
Speedy
14 posters

Go down

Bryan Brophy - RIP Empty Bryan Brophy - RIP

Post  Speedy Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Saw a comment on Facebook earlier saying Bryan Brophy has passed away. Bryan was as a stalwart of Galway Motor Club for a number of years and has officiated at many events at home and abroad. To people on here he was better known as brogal and was an avid collector of model cars and in particular anything from Irish events or with an Irish connection.

RIP Bryan, your wit and sharp comments will be missed
Speedy
Speedy

http://www.peespeed.com

Back to top Go down

Bryan Brophy - RIP Empty Re: Bryan Brophy - RIP

Post  reeft1 Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:36 pm

Very sad news.
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  turn the wheel Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:49 am

sad ,sad news......Bryan was in contact with me recently .......he did say he was having health issues ....in and out of hospital........RIP bRYAN !!!!!!!! You will be remembered later today at the Model Show in Killarney!!!!!!!!!!!!

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:35 am

very sad.....deepest condolences to bryans family from myself and im sure from the forum as a whole...
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Bryan Brophy - RIP Img_1110

Message from Donie

Just a photo of a Tribute at the model show today in Killarney to the late Bryan Brophy of DRM & Galway Motor Club who passed away yesterday.
In the photo is a Door plate and a copy of wheels magazine depicting the Billy Coleman Alpine during the Galway Rally. All info supplied to me by Bryan to help with the making of the Galway Rally Alpine of Billy Coleman seen here in the foreground.

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Terrible news for his family and friends. Always an active contributor to the forum and will be greatly missed.

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:42 pm

RIP. I was only thinking about him a few weeks ago as he had asked me to make several Galway rally models for him.
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeus Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:58 pm

RIP Bryan, thoughts with the family at this difficult time Sad
Zeus
Zeus

Back to top Go down

Post  sbuckley Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:22 pm

May he rest in peace. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this very sad time.
sbuckley
sbuckley

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Bryan has left the (rally) stage...

I have never met Bryan but we shared our love of Rallying on this forum.

My thoughts are with his family & friends.

RIP Bryan

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal the 2nd Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Very sad news
Condolences to family and friends
RIP

Chris
Sal the 2nd
Sal the 2nd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:29 am

Very sad news indeed - Bryan will be sorely missed.

Deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

RIP Bryan.

Here is a lovely and very fitting tribute by the great Alan 'Plum' Tyndall that I just saw on Facebook.....

REST WELL RUMPOLE

It is with a large lump in my throat and a tear in my eye that I have to reflect on Bryan Brophy’s passing. The last years have been far from easy for Bryan, his truly remarkable wife Brigid, and the Brophy family so when Bryan slipped away at 3.45 on Saturday morning, as we too often have to say, it was a merciful relief.

Silenced for ever on that November morning was one of the loudest and most influential voices in Irish motorsport as Bryan could not just be heard at a great distance he travelled great distances to be heard and to serve the sport that he loved so well at the very highest level.

He was our ‘Rumpole of the Paddock’ and his contribution to Irish motorsport has been immense. As a Steward and Observer he was well know in this country and abroad. Bryan was Hon. Treasurer of his beloved Galway Motor Club for 21 years, but distance was never an obstacle as he crossed Ireland on numerous occasions to serve on the Motorsport Commission for many years and became the Chairman of MI’s Rallies Committee.

But it his international achievements that have been most impressive as ‘The Broph’ became the first Irishman to act as an F1 Steward in 1993 when he accepted that post at the Monaco Grand Prix.

When The FIA introduced the practice of appointing four permanent stewards in 1996 Byran was chosen along with Nazir Hoosein from India, Paul Gutjahir from Switzerland and Leopoldo Barbosa from Venezuela. He was Ireland’s Titchler Delegate on the FIA from 2004 and served on the FIA’s Historic Motorsports Commission, presiding over their Circuit Sub-Committee.

But Bryan wasn’t just a desk man as he liked to practice what he preached however ‘Rumpole’s’ attempts at racing and rallying were often short lived, as mechanical preparation never seemed to be a priority.

I first got to know Bryan and Brigid in more care free times when they were the central core of the team that pioneered the Galway International Rally. And what a great bunch they were – Eamonn Cotter, Marcus Sweeney, Bob Bradly, Pat Higgins, Ray Murphy, David Baines, and their extraordinary press officer Brian G Thornton, who like myself never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

February in the west was always one of the highlights of the year and many of that bunch became lifelong friends. Sadly now only Marcus, Pat, and Ray remain, but their friendship and generosity will always linger.

And when it came to hospitality the Brophy’s were on a different planet. The craic went into orbit when we sampled Brigid’s cooking and Bryan’s cellar in Taylor’s Hill and Barna and it wasn’t just the Tyndall family who benefited from their open house policy.

As things got tight at the end of RPM’s days on television the Brophy’s threw opened their door and housed our whole team during the 2012 and 2013 rally weekends. We were never short of volunteers for those events.

‘Rumpole’s’ bluster will be sorely missed and the world is now undoubtable a quieter place but it is also a duller place as one of the great characters in and benefactors to our sport has gone OTL.

Plum Tyndall
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Rip Bryan. Had many dealing with him and always the gentleman.

Thoughts go out to his family and friends.
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Cess Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:20 pm

I think I'm right in that I remember him doing the historic section of the Galway International in or around 2011.

Rest in peace.

Cess

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:02 pm

RIP Bryan

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down