Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday? Empty Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday?

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm heading to Lydden Hill for the next round of the British Rallycross Championship and am camping over Sunday and Monday, to get the most of the high-octane action! bounce

The entry list looks enticing. Something for everyone: 9 Rage buggies, 14 Suzuki Swifts, 12 Supernationals, 7 Hot hatches, 6 BMW Binis (sorry, MINIs), 11 Supercars including; 4 Focus, 2 Subaru Imprezas, 3 Citroens, a Fiesta and a Ka (all of which are 4 wheel drive, launch control etc!) and the pinnacle for me, the Ripla Retro Rallycross Challenge: a Metro 6R4, a Delta Integrale, a Beelte, a 911 (same thing, really! Razz ) and a couple of very well sorted Minis!

http://www.rct-entry.com/entries_BC_20120827.php

The highlight of the weekend for me will be presenting my model of his MG Metro 6R4 to Rob Gibson, who will be competing over the weekend, and riding shotgun with him in the wee beastie for a lap or two. bounce Oh yes! Fulfilling a lifetime's ambition. santa

Who's coming over to the rallycross? And who's camping?? Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday? Empty Re: Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday?

Post  Hampton Caught Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:57 pm

Looks like I'll be the sole representative for the rallycross, then! Sad

I'll let you know how I get on, but can't promise any photos - still haven't got that side of things sorted out on here. Embarassed

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday? Empty Re: Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday?

Post  Simon6R4 Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:20 pm

I hope to be going on Monday for the day
Simon6R4
Simon6R4

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:58 pm

Hi Simon,

I've sent you a PM. Hope to see you there. Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Sorry Steve - I'm camping at Oulton Park for the Gold Cup meeting - plenty of Group B action plus some sweet historics as well! Say 'HI' to Rob and Shirley for me, and tell them I'll see them at Pembrey or Croft.

Have a good un lads!
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:40 pm

Greetings All!

Am pleased to say that I had a very memorable weekend at Lydden Hill and returned home earlier today having made a week of it, camping in Battle.

Highlight of the trip, probably of my year, was three laps with Rob Gibson driving his MG Metro 6R4 around the circuit. A lifetime ambition realised. The whole experience was completely brilliant! The acceleration of the car, even on the loose surfaces, is something I've not expereinced anywhere other than a roller coaster. The brakes were hugely powerful and the cornering mighty amazing too. All of this, of course, with the wonderful, sonorous V64V engine barking away immediately behind me. Glorious experience! bounce Seeing the car with a passenger seat, knowing it had been put there especially for me, put a lump in my throat! Very Happy

It was great meeting up with Simon too. I'm pleased to say he looks nothing like his Avatar!! Then again, I look nothing like mine! OK, I must get that sorted!! Rolling Eyes

More when I can get some pictures sorted..... Cheers, Steve

Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday? Empty Happiness is Metro-Shaped

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Greetings! Thought I'd post a photo of me being driven in Rob Gibson's 6R4 on 26th August at Lydden Hill. If you look carefully, you'll see there's a passenger and that passenger was me! king Still haven't got my own photos from the weekend off my camera (missing lead hasn't helped!) but someone's taken a shot of us at speed and here it is. cheers

http://www.racingexposure.com/blog/2012/08/dorans-the-man-at-lydden/rob-gibsons-legendary-mg-metro-6r4/

One of the best experiences of my life! Hope you like the picture! I'm still grinning like the Cheshire Cat and it was a whole month ago!!

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Steve,

That is one helluva unique opportunity that you have experienced there mate - you are one very lucky man indeed! affraid

To get a ride in a 6R4 at the best of times is a treat, but to do so in such an iconic rallycross car as Rob's, and around a pukka rallycross track during an actual meeting is something that only a very few people have been fortunate enough to experience. To tell you the truth, I am green with envy....... No

I must apologise that I had also not commented on your 'prize' until this evening. I had seen your initial post about a month ago, but I possibly got distracted and then forgot to return to the post later on, and comment. Please accept my apologies for seemingly ignoring you Steve, and I would like to think that a few other members could also comment and pass on their own thoughts about your 3-lap ride with Rob Gibson.

By the way, what did Rob think of his completed model in the end?

Anyone Camping at Lydden Hill over the Bank Holiday? Rob-Gibsons-legendary-MG-Metro-6R4
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments and for posting the piccie on here for me. Don't worry, I hadn't taken offence, trust me! We all lead busy lives.

I'm delighted to say that all round, it was an excellent experience. Rob and Shirley were delighted and very grateful that I'd taken the time and effort to make a model of their car and so pleased that the ride in the 6R4 meant so much to me.

I have to say that I put more time and effort into Rob's model than I have on any other model to date. I modelled it exactly as it was when we saw it for the inaugural Retro Rallycross event at Mallory Park in July and put a label on the plinth commemorating that. I even painted the washer bottle with the right level of water and the wiper in the same position as it had been that day. Cool Of course, using the correct, secret paint for the job helped. I even replaced the rear half of the IXO model's incorrect roll cage to more accurately represent the full-size car. I ALWAYS remove the A pillar cage which we know is integrated and unseen in the A pillar itself.

Rob, Shirley and their family had been looking for a model of the car for years and I'm chuffed to bits that they appreciate it as much as they do. I've assured Rob that I won't be making another model of the car as it was that day, so his is truly unique, which I think is totally fitting!

I'm hoping to get to the next rallycross meeting at Pembrey, Wales on Sunday 7th October. Anyone else going?

Cheers, Steve

Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:13 pm

David, forgot to mention, you are absolutely right. It was a unique opportunity! Rob's daughter said she'd never known anyone go out in the car with Rob. I am a very lucky chap and feel honoured to have had the privilege of riding in such a famous and authentic 6R4 with such a famous and authentic rallycross hero!

Must say that both Shirley and Rob are wonderful and hospitable folk. They both have so much going on over a rallycross event, but still make the time and effort to be sociable. But then, David, you've met them as well and you know that for yourself! Very Happy

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down