Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toy and Model SWAP MEET

+2
mcm motorsport
turn the wheel
6 posters

Go down

Toy and Model SWAP MEET Empty Toy and Model SWAP MEET

Post  turn the wheel Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 am

On Friday night Jan 11 i went to" The Sydney Model Auto Clubs Toy and Model SWAP Meet " at a school in Granville (a western suburb of Sydney close to the Olympic Village). To my amazement the size of the gathering was unbelievable.....60 stalls selling and swaping models....with a huge selection of toys..Models in ...1/43, 1/18,1/76 and 1/24....Formula 1, Racing ,Snap On tool kits and garage lifts in 1/18 ,Oil barells and drums, Le Mans winners..trucks, Buses, Arny vehicles, Aeroplanes ,slot cars,Model Railways,models from film Including Star Wars, Figures, post cards, Magazines. and a liberary of books on cars both Australian and British.and all in huge quantities. I think what surprised me most was the collections of MATCHBOX and DINKYS in their origional boxes.....some with the first day prices afixed....some 50 cent while others must have come from the UK as they were priced at 1/6 and 2 Shillings,,,,,,and they selling for $70..I see one customer asking about one matchbox on display asked how much....he was told $70 ...he offered $60 and the conversation finished there and then with the seller just putting the car back in its box.... Aleast 500 people swaned around looking, Dealing and some just browsing......there was something for everybody ....even the Kids were swaping DVDs with each other....$3 dollars admition and $20 to have a stall ......

Last edited by turn the wheel on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : miss speling)

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Toy and Model SWAP MEET Empty Re: Toy and Model SWAP MEET

Post  turn the wheel Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:28 am

I guess our Australian forum members may know about these SWAP MEETS.....but for everybodys benefit the next one takes place on Feb 8 then Mar,8 April 12, May 10 June 14...Well if your in the area it is well worth a visit......
and i got a poster on a another meeting
Australias Premier Collectable Show....presents" COLLECTORMANIA", NSWs largest Toy and Hobby Fair on Sunday 10 March 2013 in Penrith Panthers Pavillion
Mulgoa Rd,
Penrith
9am to 3pm.....
I dont think ill make it........ps its 800 meters from Penrith Train Station

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  mcm motorsport Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:20 am

you'll be commin home with alot more hand luggage me thinks donie! Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 am

Sounds great, Donie.

I wonder if there are any 1/43 scale models of UK/ Australian hybrids such as the Morris Nomad, a road car from the late 1960s based on the Austin 1100, with a five door, hatchback body and a Maxi 1500cc engine. Only ever sold in Australia and New Zealand to my knowledge. Lovely looking car, such a shame it didn't make it to the UK, but there may possibly be a 1/43 scale mdel of it somewhere out there in model land!!

Have fun and remember your baggage weight limits!! Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  turn the wheel Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:47 pm

mcm motorsport wrote:you'll be commin home with alot more hand luggage me thinks donie! Razz
Bought very little actually as there was very little rally models....i did buy a few books, i got a Daniel Barry /Martin Brady Rally Scotland Evo9,a Greg Murphy Holden Commodore V8 AND...AND an unboxed Red Mk1 Cortina also Rally Scotland for $15...I think its Roger Clark

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  turn the wheel Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Hampton Caught wrote:Sounds great, Donie.

I wonder if there are any 1/43 scale models of UK/ Australian hybrids such as the Morris Nomad, a road car from the late 1960s based on the Austin 1100, with a five door, hatchback body and a Maxi 1500cc engine. Only ever sold in Australia and New Zealand to my knowledge. Lovely looking car, such a shame it didn't make it to the UK, but there may possibly be a 1/43 scale mdel of it somewhere out there in model land!!

Have fun and remember your baggage weight limits!! Cheers, Steve
Hi Steve
I never knew those prototype cars existed so i was not on the watchout for anything unusual.......i guess you know what they looked like.......One of the books i got was to do with the design,manafacture and sales of the Mini and the Mini in competition but when i flicked through it last night there was a lot of prototypes photographed on it.......I got a number of buisness cards from dealers that i can pass on to you....These people will be on the know !!!!
No worries about baggage....my daughter is selling her house here and moving back to Ireland SO there is a container going back......Happy Days

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi Donie,

Thanks for your message and yes, I'd be very interested to contact some dealers down under. If you can send me the names and contact details, that would be wonderful. No rush, though.

For your information, I've found a link to an image of the Morris Nomad. It's very much like a shrunken Austin Maxi as you'll see, but was only sold for about 3 years.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philippos/4498150684/

Certainly the history of the Mini in production is as interesting and complex as its competition history. The task of trying to replace something as successful and popular as the Mini was a huge task, which was fudged by BMC/ BL and ARG and arguably, by BMW/MGR as well! Rolling Eyes Same thing with the Austin 1100, the biggest-selling car in the UK right through the 1960s, yet it wasn't developed properly during its production and then the Allegro came along, when the Nomad would have been better (no doubt) and without the bizarre styling the Allegro had. Oh well!

Better keep the container quiet or Paul will be asking you to fill it with little boxes! Laughing

Have a great trip and thanks again, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  mconboy Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Sounds good Donie
Have posted models home from holidays...Saves alot of hassle Idea
mconboy
mconboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Lowe Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Very nice
Toy and Model SWAP MEET 4498150684_14ca792749
Mark Lowe
Mark Lowe

Back to top Go down

Post  turn the wheel Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:31 am

Mark Lowe wrote:Very nice
That is one smart car.....I can recognoise the Austin 1100 wing and front door....not sure of the back door but yes i can remember the rear hatch off the Maxi 1850........NOW that the people in the know are on here....i dont know was it a dream or what but did a maxi compete on the Monte Carlo or one of the long distance endurance rallys?????? i have a memory of a white car,black bonnett and roof rack for tyres ??????? Somebody tell me is was not a dream please !!!

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  turn the wheel Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:55 am

Here are the contacts i got at the Meet and swap..
www.sydneymodelautoclub.com
Bruce.....0425 327 472
John.....02 9579 1257

www.F1scalemodels.com
Philip Wong
M 0417 428668

Past and Present Model Cars
Terry and Mary Quinlan 02 4389 301
ppmc@.com.au
www.ppmcars.comau

www.cshow.com.au

Happy hunting

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Lowe Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 am

Long distance Austin 1800 landcrab did
Mark Lowe
Mark Lowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Lowe Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 am

Think a few of the Aussie boys from here have been to some swapmeets in the past and probably still do
Mark Lowe
Mark Lowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Lowe Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 am

http://www.elevenhundred.com/morris1500/history.php
Mark Lowe
Mark Lowe

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 pm

turn the wheel wrote:
Mark Lowe wrote:Very nice
That is one smart car.....I can recognoise the Austin 1100 wing and front door....not sure of the back door but yes i can remember the rear hatch off the Maxi 1850........NOW that the people in the know are on here....i dont know was it a dream or what but did a maxi compete on the Monte Carlo or one of the long distance endurance rallys?????? i have a memory of a white car,black bonnett and roof rack for tyres ??????? Somebody tell me is was not a dream please !!!

Vanguards do the Austin 1800 from the 1970 World Cup rally - red car but tyres on roof so your memory is pretty good!
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Black bonnet and white roof on that car so you were very close!
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down