Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THIS IS TRUELY AWSUME!!!!!

+12
CDM
mconboy
newt5550
143models.com
turn the wheel
Simon6R4
modelrallysport.com
reeft1
Hampton Caught
Speedy
bmd
mcm motorsport
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

THIS IS TRUELY AWSUME!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: THIS IS TRUELY AWSUME!!!!!

Post  Hampton Caught Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi David,

Glad you liked my little 'whimsie'! I say 'little', but little it isn't, being full size of course and it does have a practical purpose! Laughing

To your questions: Yes, I will happily put a pic up with the doors open. I'll try to sort that in the next few days. I already have several, right through the construction phase, so I'll pick out one or two which show its inner workings and so on.

Thinking of which, the issue of mounting it on the wall took much time and thought before I came up with the idea of building a wall cabinet and mounting that to the wall itself. The Morris parts are effectively little more that 'dressing' and do not take their weight nor the weight of the glassware and contents! Very Happy . The Minor was built on a solid chassis and built up from there. The timber joints and metal reinforcements work well to take the weight when the car is 'normal', but I realised they would not be able to hold the weight dangling off the wall! Hence the structural shelf unit.

There are two shelves, one for the bottom of the boot, where the bottles rest, and the top shelf is the one that can be seen with the glasses etc on. Much of the weight of the Minor is taken by the top of the shelf unit, as the middle rail of the Minor (the horizontal timber which runs under the windows) rests on the shelf until.

The roof and wheelarches are second-hand parts which I trimmed back to be close/ parallel to the wall when in their final resting position. I cheated a little by using fibre glass arches, as these are easier to cut than the original aluminium parts.

As for sound effects ......... I can honestly say I had thought of these and rapidly decided not to pursue them, as they could get annoying and I didn't want to impose on my wife, children and family/ guests any more than I already had! Embarassed

What you can't see is the petrol filler neck is in place and operates - I repainted a filler cap which has 'PETROL' embossed on it, and used a new rubber collar around an old metal neck (which you can't see). The lights, bumper chrome and other incidentals are all new.

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Juha Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Cowley wrote: lol!

I don't think a lift up 6R4 tailgate would work anywhere near as well as Steve's Minor cabinet, Chris - although I must admit that I did think about it, very very briefly! Embarassed
I reckon you could build something similar with all those 6R4 panels you have. lol!
Juha
Juha

http://www.rallyfoto.be

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 pm

I'd better not go into the idea I'd had of constructing the front end of an MG Metro with an armchair in what would be the engine bay! No, I'll keep that to myself. Don't want to give the impression that I'm a raving nutcase! Wink Ah! Maybe it's a bit late for that!?

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum