Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FORUM NEEDS YOU!!

+20
turn the wheel
modelrallysport.com
mconboy
Ryan_C
reeft1
Hampton Caught
Zeus
srsmodels
Rallycol
Ted Creedon
bmd
jimb
Niallod
Simon6R4
Cazzo
brian
newt5550
Speedy
Juha
mcm motorsport
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

FORUM NEEDS YOU!! Empty FORUM NEEDS YOU!!

Post  mcm motorsport Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:19 pm

This is a message i thought i would never be posting!! i will keep it short.

i was talking to nicky last night and after chatting about general things the forum came round,he was telling me it was over 3 months since he looked in on here due to being busy with other life goingons (work,rallying etc etc)we all have a life outside models. To get straight to the point he wants out of the running day to day of the forum and asked me if i wanted to be the admin. I was honour'd to be asked but declinded for 2 simple reasons,1 being the way i am with my models at present and 2 i wouldnt have a clue what to do!! Shocked  If a suitable person from here wants the running of it nicky is more than happy to give you the controls (and help getting you into the swing of it) and i will be more than happy to assist as wingman. please note there is a fair bit of work involded in this job,to name just a small few,accepting members,sorting spams,updates,not to count the money thats involded too with it all in keeping the website up and running (which nicky never complained about and done all on the Q.T!) if no-one can be got it only leaves 1 option....close the forum.
please dont be comin on here with neg comments (not that many of you's would),we need help,suggestions,ideas to keep this great and helpful forum alive! Nothing will happen for a while yet so dont be panicing guys.

Back to top Go down

FORUM NEEDS YOU!! Empty Re: FORUM NEEDS YOU!!

Post  Juha Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:28 pm

You have a PM. Wink
Juha
Juha

http://www.rallyfoto.be

Back to top Go down

Post  Speedy Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Willing to help out and throw a few bob into the kitty but wouldn't have the expertise to take full control
Speedy
Speedy

http://www.peespeed.com

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:32 pm

I like yourself don't want the forum to go and will gladly help where i can. Taking over is a no no cus i'm very basic with the old PC. My 15year old daughter knows more than me.
If someone is willing to take on the day to day tasks then myself included would be happy to contribute to the money side of things and i'm sure there would be others aswell.
I hope there is is someone out there that will take it on because it would be a huge shame to see it go.
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  mcm motorsport Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 pm

newt5550 wrote:I like yourself don't want the forum to go and will gladly help where i can. Taking over is a no no cus i'm very basic with the old PC. My 15year old daughter knows more than me.
If someone is willing to take on the day to day tasks then myself included would be happy to contribute to the money side of things and i'm sure there would be others aswell.
I hope there is is someone out there that will take it on because it would be a huge shame to see it go.

snap here too chris! Embarassed Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Im more than happy to help out where needed paul. You know my background in IT so can help out on that front. My feelings even on the other was for some sort of payment to cover costs. Running a forum on your own is expensive. 2-3 pound/euro per member is very little but collectively would cover most of the costs

Back to top Go down

Post  Cazzo Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:31 pm

I wouldn't want to see the Forum closing down as it's a great place to keep up to date with what people are building/releasing,
Plus there's a good bunch of fella's on here and plenty of banter,

If it was just down to the money that it takes to keep the site running we'd all chip in to cover the cost no problem,
It'll be down to someone with enough time and computer knowledge to be able to keep things running,
I wouldn't have enough of both to be able to help but I do hope we can find someone,

If no one can be found then we could move over to Facebook as it's free and we can load up photo folders to replace the sections on here,
I hope it wouldn't come to that but I'm sure this is not the end of the Model Forum, we moved before and lasted a good few years,

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon6R4 Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Like the other comments, I too would not like to see the forum go. I would be more than happy to help pay the way, and help out I that way. I'm not really that up on the old compoota to help on the technical front though.

I'm sure that between us we should be able to keep the forum going, it's a great place to share our common interest, and the great banter we have on here  Very Happy 
Simon6R4
Simon6R4

Back to top Go down

Post  Speedy Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Just a couple of suggestions
1. couple of extra moderators
2. yearly contribution/donation, maybe put up a paypal donate button

Oh I'd be for doing all possible to keep it from going down the route of a fb page
Speedy
Speedy

http://www.peespeed.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mcm motorsport Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:53 pm

due to work commitments lately i havnt been on as much (in fact never during the day now) i do pop on every nite to sort out probs/read pm's etc etc.
when i was talking to nicky last nite the 1st name into my head was brian,he knows the in's and out's of computers/websites etc (taking nothing away from the rest of you wizzkids Very Happy ) i must say im overwhelmed by all the pm's and posts ive received of well wishes.
the new admin will have all our support and when it comes to the £££'s to keep it all running theres plenty of good long serving members that wont mind chipping in.
LONG LIVE THE FORUM!!! Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  Niallod Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:17 pm

I would have no problem contributing money to keep the forum going, but haven't time or expertise to do the admin work. Hopefully a techno king will save the day!

Niallod

Back to top Go down

Post  jimb Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:25 pm

Only too happy to chip in with the £'s to keep the forum running, I have found it invaluable since joining over a year ago. Unfortunately I do not have the time at the moment to help with admin but things may change in the future. The important thing is to keep the forum going rather than going down the FB route which would have to be a last option.
jimb
jimb

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:32 am

sorry for late reply lads, just  back in,....

* totally agree that the members could chuck in a few bob yearly to keep us going
* totally agree that  someone with a more-than-average computer knowledge would be essential as admin
* totally agree that a couple of mods would lighten the load of the admin
* totally agree that we should do ANYTHING to avoid being facebook only  Smile ...i detest the thing! (just my opinion, don't shoot!)

* total and huge thanks to nicky for everything he has done up to now, i'm sure i speak for all members when i wish him well in his new venture...stay safe m8!   and do pop in to say hello now and again  Smile
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Creedon Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:30 am

bmd wrote:sorry for late reply lads, just  back in,....

* totally agree that the members could chuck in a few bob yearly to keep us going
* totally agree that  someone with a more-than-average computer knowledge would be essential as admin
* totally agree that a couple of mods would lighten the load of the admin
* totally agree that we should do ANYTHING to avoid being facebook only  Smile ...i detest the thing! (just my opinion, don't shoot!)

* total and huge thanks to nicky for everything he has done up to now, i'm sure i speak for all members when i wish him well in his new venture...stay safe m8!   and do pop in to say hello now and again  Smile

^^^^^^ What he said!!! ^^^^^^
Ted Creedon
Ted Creedon

Back to top Go down

Post  Rallycol Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:29 am

Yearly subscription great and fair proposal!

Like Billy I feel heading down the 'Facebook' route would be a disaster! Although If it would give the Forum more exposure and increase membership is there a possibility of running a Facebook page as a cover promoting and encouraging / diverting people to this site. Maybe create a Visitors link where we have a section showing a sample of what goes on! Then once people pay their Membership they get full access!

Just my opinion but at the end of the day, the majority should have an input on major future decisions

Rallycol

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon6R4 Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:52 am

Well said Billy!! Big thanks to Nicky for all his work and especially for setting up the forum when the old one finished, if it weren't for him we wouldn't be here now, so BIG THANKS Nicky
Simon6R4
Simon6R4

Back to top Go down

Post  srsmodels Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:44 am

Firstly a big thank you to Nicky for set up the forum ....amazing job

We must keep the forum going as it is a great place to be

The yearly subscription idea is a great one and please basically just let me know how much and how to pay

The Facebook spin off would be ok as a add on too

That's my ideas on this

srsmodels

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeus Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:52 am

Keep it going, wish I had more money at the moment to donate. Agree we should have a viewable section to non members aswell. View the welcome, general chat, what I found & wanted section. No posts in the forsale section until certain amount of posts & the forum opens in full after those posts aswell.
Zeus
Zeus

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Guys,

I've only now seen this thread and would be VERY keen to keep the Forum going. It's been a great place to share ideas and a larf and I'd be saddened if that ever stopped. I have neither the time nor technical knowledge to help out on the running of the Forum except to confirm I'd be happy to contribute financially.

I've no idea how much that would be - the Rover 75 and MG ZT Club Forum was £8 - 10 p.a. if I recall correctly. Given there are more members than the 75 & ZT club, maybe it would be no more than that or possibly less? Either way, it's essential we keep the Forum going.

Last but by no means least comment is to add my thanks to Nicky (and Paul!) for working away in the background and keeping us going.  flower 

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cazzo Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Rallycol wrote:Yearly subscription great and fair proposal!

Like Billy I feel heading down the 'Facebook' route would be a disaster! Although If it would give the Forum more exposure and increase membership is there a possibility of running a Facebook page as a cover promoting and encouraging / diverting people to this site. Maybe create a Visitors link where we have a section showing a sample of what goes on! Then once people pay their Membership they get full access!

Just my opinion but at the end of the day, the majority should have an input on major future decisions

It's been going for a while now, I've set up a page for my own builds and send people to this forum when they are asking for more info,

https://www.facebook.com/moirarally.prep.5 it says MoiraRallyPrep in the link but the page title is Diecast Rally ModelPrep,

We defo need to keep this forum going as just using FB will not be the same, running both would work,

Having a section open to new visitors to this forum would be a good idea,
We could have a Public Show Case section so they could see some of the builds we have done + all the new releases from the builders doing limited runs,
Peter was talking about having a section for new releases as he missed some of the past models, a new section like this would cover both these areas,

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:45 pm

I had admin access on the other forum helping Pat out with the technical stuff. On the admin side there were loads of options such as subscriptions/limited access etc that we never needed but could have put in place if we needed them. I sure thats standard on all forums software so theres loads of things open to us to try.

Im a member on another forum where free users can see everything, but must pay to sell stuff and also use PMs. It works very well and keeps the riff raff away as well as covering costs. Id be in favour of keeping general chat open to everyone, as well as finished models and any runs of models people are doing. I would however keep things like models in progress and collections as paid user only. We have all seen James models getting stolen and that has stopped me posting all the models i buy up here as anyone can see them. At least if you have paid a small fee, you have an interest in the forum instead of looking for something to rob.

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Don't think many of us would argue with those ideas brian.... hope between nicky, paul and yourself you can sort something.... Smile 
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cazzo Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:05 pm

That's a good point about keeping the Collections Section closed so that only paid users can see them,
I've also stopped posting up my collection and just load photos of the models I'm building,

I wouldn't open too many sections to the non-members/public tho,
If they can see enough to keep them happy then there may be no need for them to register/sign up to the forum,

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  mcm motorsport Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:10 pm

great to read all the suggestions/ideas from you's all. just received a pm from brian which reads very well (basically looks like hes our saviour!! Very Happy ) i will reply very soon too you brian. many thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post  mcm motorsport Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 pm

might be just something on my fone here but i cant seem to reply to pm's at the mo, can open and read them but everything freezes when i hit reply.
anyway theres nothing secret about it,its to brian and i wanted to say a personal thankyou for wanting to help us all out here,you were the 1st name i thought off when nicky was telling me his situation!
if your happy to go ahead with the full take-over please contact nicky and he will give you all the required info needed (its all mumby jumby to me lol). do you have his contact details outside of here as he isnt on much now?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next