Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally

3 posters

Go down

What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally Empty What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally

Post  RORY O CONNOR Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:18 pm

Does anyone know which stage on the Monte Carlo rally the opening sequence with the dam is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpAITlfUL20&ab_channel=FIAWorldRallyChampionship

Last edited by RORY O CONNOR on Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally Empty Re: What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally

Post  CDM Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 pm

Finally got this to work…

Its from Monte Carlo Rally 2021

SS1 Saint Disdier to Corps

The location can be found on the D537 about 43km north of Gap follow the N85

It is the Via Ferrata du Barrage du Sautet crossing the Lac du Sautet

Map

What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally 50882853737_11bbe12f73_cBarrage su Sautet a

What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally 50882853757_a430e898bd_bBarrage du Sautet c

Aerial Photo

What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally 50882029243_e97f173638_cBarrage du Sautet b

Hope this is enough info??!!

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally Empty Re: What special stage is this on the Monte Carlo rally

Post  RORY O CONNOR Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:51 pm

Thanks . Im hoping to go driving in France at some point when the nonsense is over. I've driven the Col de Turini. Always looking to find interesting roads. But as an engineer the Dam and the bridge woukd be interesting to see too. That gorge looks v deep
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:50 am

Rory

Not sure we we be able to get to France this year. They are miles behind in getting the vaccine.

We have postponed a trip to the Alps from 2020 to 2021, but I dont think we will get away on this until 2022.

I have done a lot of rallies in France on some pretty amazing roads.

If you give me an idea of what area you are going to I will look out our old maps.

Whatever put Mont Ventoux on your to do list starting from Bedoin and the Burzet Monte stage starting from Antraigues.

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:33 am

Thsnks Chris.
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Rory,
I am a bit lazy on these matters but I think we passed it 12 months back on the Historique. Some of the route we did was incredible so I might scan and post the maps which might be of use to you and to others. The scenery and mountains east/south east of Valence stick in my mind as being particularly spectacular. We had the good fortune of doing The Turini as our last stage . Made all the more "interesting" when the lights failed so we did most of the stage following the rear lights of the car in front !

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:17 pm

I went up the Col du Braus in my Golf in 2015.  There were black tyre marks at every bend so I presume it's used regularly.

Last edited by RORY O CONNOR on Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:32 pm

Absolutely the Col du Braus has been used since the 1930s on the Monte Carlo Rally.

We did a retro run to Monte Carlo in 2015 and did a trip up the Col du Braus having had lunch on the top of the Turini...another story.

As we came up to the zig zag bit we started get blasted by more modern competition cars. Mmmm whats going on here... before we realised we were in the middle of another event. So we stopped and took some photos before getting to the top to take in the the famous view. In the distance the sound of an approaching Subaru at speed, we gave a good cheers as he past us. We then got back to our cars and chased the last car a Mini back to Sospel and thru the tunnel we nearly caught him...he knew the roads.

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:06 pm

Anyone know which stage this one is:   https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc/vote-now-prograde-digital-photo-of-a-generation-1997-2021/

PIC 3 Francois Baudin
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 pm

Rory

I did actually locate this stage a while back, but damned if I can remember where it was!!

Very difficult to find on Google Maps until you zoom in much closer as it is a very narrow road and doesnt generally show up.

I am still on the case...

CD

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:49 pm

CDM wrote:Rory

I did actually locate this stage a while back, but damned if I can remember where it was!!

Very difficult to find on Google Maps until you zoom in much closer as it is a very narrow road and doesnt generally show up.

I am still on the case...

CD

Thanks Chris. I've driven some of the Monte Carlo stages and want to do some more -it looks pretty spectacular
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down