Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lydden Hill Rallycross, 29th and 30th March 2014

+2
bmd
Hampton Caught
6 posters

Go down

Lydden Hill Rallycross, 29th and 30th March 2014 Empty Lydden Hill Rallycross, 29th and 30th March 2014

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Well Guys, this year's British Rallycross Championship is kicking off very soon and I was wondering who from here is planning on attending over the weekend of 29th and 30th March?

I'm going to be there both days  Cool  and am trying to work up some 'Brownie Points' at home now as I'll be away for 'Mothering Sunday'!  Embarassed Rolling Eyes  Ooops!

Anyone else in DRM-land heading down to Lydden for some door-rubbing, tarmac and loose action? Will make a great warm-up event for the FIA World Rallycross round at Lydden in late May!!

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Lydden Hill Rallycross, 29th and 30th March 2014 Empty Re: Lydden Hill Rallycross, 29th and 30th March 2014

Post  bmd Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:44 pm

hi steve...............pity there isn't a section especially for rally-related events/shows.....lol!!  Razz  Razz 

(sorry m8, just being a cheeky git!  Embarassed  , please forgive... Smile )
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Lydden Hill Rallycross, 29th and 30th March 2014 Empty Re: Lydden Hill Rallycross, 29th and 30th March 2014

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:06 pm

But I thought that was one of the things to do within the Lounge area?!  Very Happy 

No problems being cheeky, Billy. I'd have worried if you were anything else!  scratch   jocolor   king   cheers 

I appreciate that not all rally-lovers want to watch 'single-seater' rally cars racing against each other in a closed circuit comprising a part-tarmac, part loose surface, but for me, it's always been the pinnacle of motorsport excitement. Only wish I had the finances to do rallycross on a scale of 1:1!  bom  Until then (if that day ever comes!), I'll make do with watching the full-size action as a spectator and dabble in rallycross myself at 1/43 scale.

As at todays' date, I have 16 rallycross MG Metro 6R4s and one rallycross Triumph TR7 V8.  sunny  I've got four projects on the go right now and two of those are rallycross 6R4s.

Anyway, guys, those who haven't yet been to a rallycross meeting, I'd encourage you to get along this season and see what the fuss is all about! Those who have experienced rallycross themselves will know why several of us here are so enthusiastic about the sport..... and it's getting bigger. The European Championship is now a World Series and goes to Canada and includes names such as Petter Solberg, Sebastian Loeb, Jacques Villeneuve who you may have heard of!!  lol! 

Cheers, Steve

Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:12 pm

That section is open to everybody Steve, I can move it there if you like.

Would love to be heading over, it always looks great craic on the TV. Rallycross is going to be huge in a few years. Ive wanted to make a 1/18 rallycross c4 or xsara model for a while now

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:23 pm

don't mind me lads, too much time on my hands obviously!!! work away steve!!  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Smile 
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi Brian,

If you could move the thread to the events area, that would make a lot of sense... and possibly make Billy happy too - which has got to be a good thing!  santa  I get what you were getting at now, Billy!!  Rolling Eyes 

Cheers Brian, and I hope you can get across to sunny (?) Lydden some time in the future. It is the home of rallycross, to many, after all!!

I wasn't going to go into detail yet, but suffice it to say that the European event in May will be worth the extra effort. There will be static displays of Group B cars and on-track action too. At this stage, I don't know what that means, but I'll know b the end of the month!!  Laughing 

I'm a-wondering about a display of small Group B cars there too!  Shocked  Leave it with me!

Cheers all, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  burnsy471 Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:49 pm

I won't be able to make the March shows, but will definitely be at Lydden for the World round in May.

Steve, it'd be great to see a display of 1/43 rallycross (and rally!) cars there, as you suggest. It'd be a good opportunity to hand out some flyers and get some new members too.

Cheers,
Mark

burnsy471

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Yes Mark, my thoughts exactly!!!  cheers 

Would be great to put a face to the name in May.  Cool  We'll come back to the May meeting, but let's sort the March one out first. Not long to go!

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:07 pm

Anyone from here heading into Kent to see the rallycross season opener?  afro 

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Well friends, I'm pleased to tell you that the 2014 British Rallycross Championship kcked off in fine style this weekend.  cheers 

Lydden Hill was bathed in sunshine for both days, in marked contrast to conditions 12 months ago when there was a crust of snow around the outside of the circuit. There were 123 cars competing across the various formulae including a good number from Belgium, as there were rounds of several Belgian competitions as part of the full programme.

Whether it was due to being the first time out this season or not, I don't know, but I've never seen so many mechanical breakdowns on circuit as there were both days, but against that, the racing was fair and close but without ANY big smashes..... until the Supercar Final that is! Jos Jansen took the right-hander at Paddock a bit too close to the barriers and ripped the front right corner off his Focus. He got going again but 3/4 of a lap later retired with only three wheels on his wagon!

The Supercar final was won in fine style by Koen Pauwels in his Focus, with the joker lap playijng its part in proceedings. It was a close call to know whether Pauwels, Joochen Coox in his VW Scirocco or Julian Godfrey in his Fiesta would come out on top at the end, a real nail-biter.

There were some excellent ding-dongs (Matron!) in the finals of many of the other formulae making it a top weekend's motor racing, despite a localised power cut on Sunday preventing the any running for half an hour late morning. With the timing system not working, everything was put on pause until the generators kicked in and it was business as usual. Sadly, three of the finals couldn't be run as the 4pm curfew was reached with many cars still in the assembly area!

One of the highlights was, undoubtedly, a new trophy for the Ripla Retro Rallycross Driver of the Year. Looking like something held aloft at Wembley in the old days, the John Button Memorial Trophy is a fitting prize for the retro-rallycross boys to compete for and alos a sterling tribute to Jenson's dad, John, who died suddenly in January. John Button had rallycrossed in VW Beetles and Golfs in the 70s and early 80s before his son's karting career took off (and he's done pretty well since then!) but was a well liked and respected figure on the rallycross scene in his competition years.

I managed to have a lovely chat over the weekend with a couple of ex-rallycrossers: Graham Strugnell (Struggers) and John Smith, together with his lovely wife Jeeta. Shirley Gibson was busy hosting the Retro Rallycross family and finalising arrangements for next month's FIA event, though Rob's weekend didn't end too well, with the venerable 6R4 pulling off the circuit with smoke pouring from the right bank of the V64V engine. Hopefully he'll be back out to play with the other Group B rallycross cars on track in May.

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Sorry that I couldn't make it down to Lydden Hill, Steve. Sounds like you had a cracking time.  Wink 

The "...smoke pouring from the right bank of the V64V engine." was caused by the following!...

Lydden Hill Rallycross, 29th and 30th March 2014 1956802_733343866710672_1184513217_o

This very sad photo is the aftermath of Rob Gibson's MG Metro 6R4 terminal engine damage following Rd1 of the 2014 Retro Rallycross Championship at Lydden Hill over the weekend of 30/31 March. Rob describing it as "...the chewed up top of a piston! That's what happens when you change gear from 3rd to 2nd when it should be 3rd to 4th. Driver error to the extreme - only myself to blame!"  pale 
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Mega OOPS
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:49 pm

David,

Thanks for posting. I'm no engineer but that doesn't look very healthy to me!  pale  My stomach turned when I saw the smoke pouring out of the car and it's done the same again now!  Crying or Very sad 

Rob told me, soon after returning to the paddock (on foot) that it was his mistake selecting second rather than fourth.

Do you know, yet, what Rob's intention is? Is the engine salvageable? How soon before we hear the powerful bark of the V64V again?  scratch 

Lastly David, did you see my email regarding the May rallycross meeting?

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down