Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DOH! 1st speeding ticket

+4
reeft1
skipperjim
newt5550
jusali
8 posters

Go down

DOH! 1st speeding ticket Empty DOH! 1st speeding ticket

Post  jusali Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:12 pm

after 25 years and a totally clean licence it was bound to happen.
I have been caught speeding on the A39 coming home from holiday.
My dear wife just rang up positively gloating!
36 in a 30  Evil or Very Mad 
jusali
jusali

Back to top Go down

DOH! 1st speeding ticket Empty Re: DOH! 1st speeding ticket

Post  newt5550 Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:19 pm

You might get the chance of a one day drivers course Justin. They do them round here. You have to pay a bit more but go on a course for the day and then you don't get the points.
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  jusali Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Yeah they gave me the option to apply for a safety training day. Will apply and see.
jusali
jusali

Back to top Go down

Post  skipperjim Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:17 am

I got caught a few years back £60.00 fine & 3 points. 79 in a 50 with the company van at 11pm not another car in sight for miles.

Was totally pi***d off.

Jim
skipperjim
skipperjim

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:25 am

jusali wrote:Yeah they gave me the option to apply for a safety training day. Will apply and see.

Its definitely worth it - no points, and nothing to disclose at Insurance renewal time.
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi Justin,

Sorry to hear you got caught.  Evil or Very Mad  It's something we can all do every day and it's a matter of time.....blah blah! Doesn't make it any easier, though!

One of the ladies in my team was caught and attended a speed awareness day on the evils of speeding. She needed a strong stomach, by the sounds of it!  affraid pale 

Definitely worth doing this rather than cough up and have the points on your license. The effect on your insurance for the next few years is worth considering too.

I've been trying not to speed so much and now regularly use the cruise control to stop the speed building up on certain roads. There's one nearby which I set at 32 mph and sit there rather than letting the speed build - it's very tempting, but the Police sometimes sit there with the hair dryers at the ready and I don't want to get caught!  clown  I do, sometimes, get someone in a rush driving on my tail but these days I don't speed up to accommodate them. I'm more likely to slow down!  Laughing 

Cheers and all the best, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  turn the wheel Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:03 pm

I got caught doing 98 in a 30.......van.....pulling a trailer.........car on the trailer.........the cop was furious................lost the plot .........got so angry that he gave me a double fine and forgot the points.................not a bad result considering the crime !!!

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:43 am

Just a marginal fail then Donie. If i'd done that in Essex I think I would have been taken to one side by the local constabulary for more than a stern talking to....
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:28 pm

reeft1 wrote:Just a marginal fail then Donie. If i'd done that in Essex I think I would have been taken to one side by the local constabulary for more than a stern talking to....

The mind boggles  Laughing 
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:23 pm

I've had a clean license most of my 29+ years of motoring.

My 'blip' was towing my trailer tent behind my Discovery whilst in the outside lane of the 3 lane motorway (the M6). I was on the way to a job interview in Carlisle, wasn't speeding but driving carefully and considerately, doing the maximum permitted in the UK (60mph opn motorways and dual carriageways, 50 mph everywhere else unless indicated otherwise).

I was driving up a long climb, two lanes of very slow HGVs, I overtook and went back into lane two then lane one and carried on. A few mins later, flashing ble lights. I thought something was wrong with the car or trailer. Instead, the Cumbrian police screwed £40 off me (this was in 1999) and gave me 3 points for driving in the outside lane whilst towing.

I've never forgotten and in fact, following my job interview I wasn't thinking about the questions I'd been asked or how I'd done, I was thinking over the whole hard-shoulder incident! Still annoyed now and that was 15 years ago!

Must learn to relax!!

Thanks for the group therapy... and don't let me catch you towing at silly speeds, Donie!!!!!!!! :-)

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:21 pm

newt5550 wrote:

The mind boggles  Laughing 

Lol

Last edited by reeft1 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Steve's story just reminded me of a couple of events from my youth involving a good friend of mine. Madder than a bag of snakes but he was/is a very talented driver. Thank goodness for that as some of our antics should probably have landed one of us in hospital. Anyway, the story Steve just reminded me about was when my mate and i were driving down to Cornwall in my RS2000 for a few days holiday. I'd been stuck behind a tractor (McMurray on his hols?) for about 5 mins when a gap opened up and i took the opportunity to overtake. Unfortunately i failed to notice the panda car behind me and that i went over solid double white lines. 1 min later i got pulled over by the blues and twos. Nothing remarkable about that until my mate who was giggling like a girl and who was suffering from a bad case of the munchies (i wonder why.....) got out and tried to bribe the officer and his female partner with a half eaten pack of jaffa cakes for the next 10mins. They must have had sympathy for me as i got a 7 day wonder and was sent on our way minus the jaffa cakes. Just proves that there are decent feds out there (but make sure you have jaffa cakes)
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 pm

reeft1 wrote:but make sure you have jaffa cakes

..... or pies. Apparently the Boys and Girls in blue seem to like them. Apparently!  Laughing 
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Juha Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:07 am

turn the wheel wrote:I got caught doing 98 in a 30.......van.....pulling a trailer.........car on the trailer.........the cop was furious................lost the plot .........got so angry that he gave me a double fine and forgot the points.................not a bad result considering the crime !!!
Some going there, living life on the edge are you? Laughing

My only ones are 70 instead of 50, hadn't noticed the temporary sign, and 90 instead of 70.

The latter was rather stupid because I drove past that spot every day on the way to school. I was approaching traffic lights and forgot you're only allowed to do 90 after the lights. The irony was that I got caught out by the camera at the first junction, my mum's only fine in years was from the camera at the second junction, dad got caught out by the camera at junction number three and two friends of mine got their licences suspended at camera four and five. At least we now know the cameras are actually working. Laughing
Juha
Juha

http://www.rallyfoto.be

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Swanage in 1996- 38 in a 30 Zone on a dry road in summer.3 points and a fine-didn't deserve it.

A303 in Dorset-September 96-doing 90 on a 70 zone in the rain-3 points and a fine-deserved it.

Stupid little car- a R5 GT Turbo- attracted the attention of the police like flys to shite.

Feb 2007-going down on the A1 at Banbridge-a road I know well and I know where the speed traps are typically placed, doing 60 in a 60 zone on a lazy Monday morning, no rush. Temp roadworks about 20 meters long meant the limit had been dropped to 40 for this little stretch of road. Drove right into it and a cop with a hair dryer was waiting. £60 fine but no points as was driving on a southern Irish licence. Only paid the fine as I was going to be working up North for a year shortly afterwards.
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:15 pm

You bad lads. Shame on you  lol! 
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Thank you Bishop Newtu for your spiritual guidance
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Yep, they say confession's good for the soul!
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:31 am

reeft1 wrote:Thank you Bishop Newtu for your spiritual guidance

I was caught once back when i was 17 but i will spare you the tale and not tempt fate Laughing
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum