Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blast from the past

+3
Zeus
brian
newt5550
7 posters

Go down

Blast from the past Empty Blast from the past

Post  newt5550 Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:08 pm

I recently bought the full lot of Motorsport Collector from Chris (ecml). I have been looking through them all and can't believe that in 1998 Trofeu models were selling for £9.99 or less.
Also in the magazine are some articles written by Chris Derbyshire which are very interesting.
There is a great little advert for ShowCase Models which Mike Nellis used to own. The opening hours made me laugh. Monday to Saturday 10ish to 5ish Laughing
But in the Summer 2000 issue was an even better advert in the classified bit which made me smile. No prizes for guessing who put it in but it is quiet obvious (does have his name at the end of ad')

MG METRO 6R4
Related items including press material, showroom posters, team clothing, etc.
Absolutely anything. Will buy or swap!

Very Happy Happy days and good memories bought back Cool
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Blast from the past Empty Re: Blast from the past

Post  brian Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:14 pm

Great looking back to see how the hobby has evolved over the years and horrible to see hopw expensive models have become.

I was recently looking through some old Pacenotes publications when they were still newspapers and found a great article about KMD along with loads of adverts for the older builders.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeus Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:10 pm

newt5550 wrote:I recently bought the full lot of Motorsport Collector from Chris (ecml). I have been looking through them all and can't believe that in 1998 Trofeu models were selling for £9.99 or less.
Also in the magazine are some articles written by Chris Derbyshire which are very interesting.
There is a great little advert for ShowCase Models which Mike Nellis used to own. The opening hours made me laugh. Monday to Saturday 10ish to 5ish Laughing
But in the Summer 2000 issue was an even better advert in the classified bit which made me smile. No prizes for guessing who put it in but it is quiet obvious (does have his name at the end of ad')

MG METRO 6R4

Very Happy  Happy days and good memories bought back Cool

Ah that was a great magazine, I remember minichamps for £12.99

I wonder who that could be Laughing
Zeus
Zeus

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Zeus wrote:
newt5550 wrote:I recently bought the full lot of Motorsport Collector from Chris (ecml). I have been looking through them all and can't believe that in 1998 Trofeu models were selling for £9.99 or less.

MG METRO 6R4

Very Happy  Happy days and good memories bought back Cool

Ah that was a great magazine, I remember minichamps for £12.99

I wonder who that could be Laughing

Ah ya see a little older than you Dave so they were a little cheaper when i started Laughing
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:51 pm

brian wrote:Great looking back to see how the hobby has evolved over the years and horrible to see hopw expensive models have become.

I was recently looking through some old Pacenotes publications when they were still newspapers and found a great article about KMD along with loads of adverts for the older builders.  

And it's very scary to see that alot of the people advertising back then have now stopped trading. Sign of the times.
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:43 am

But also good to see some regular characters here have been 'living the dream' for several decades, eh Chris, David? Laughing

Long may it continue too!!

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Great to see that the magazines have gone to a good home and as I was flicking through them before posting it was interesting as already said to see how many shops/advertisers have dissappeared from the scene. Was also reminded that Vitesse and Trofeu were only available via traders who had account with Modeltime at one time before that arrangment was broken up and Vitesse models were being sold off at 3 for a tenner!

Sal

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:19 pm

newt5550 wrote:But in the Summer 2000 issue was an even better advert in the classified bit which made me smile. No prizes for guessing who put it in but it is quiet obvious (does have his name at the end of ad')

MG METRO 6R4
What a great publication Motorsport Collector was as well! I too have every issue Chris, even the Summer 2000 issue with aforementioned advert within! Rolling Eyes

Chris actually came to my house around that time, and my collection was going to be featured within the magazine's pages, but then they 'pulled the plug' so to speak! That could have been the BEST SELLER that was needed, or not!... Wink
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:58 pm

Dave

I remember the day very well....all those ARG overalls, bits of cars and assorted 6R4 memorabilia, the filing cabinet!! it would have filled their pages!!

In principle it was a good magazine. It was aimed at the collectors on limited budgets like we all are on the forum, but in their wisdom they rebranded it and went up market into the bigger auctions and away from what we would want.

On the old forum I think Andy had got all our old articles into the forum archive.

I would have to say although I collected rally stuff back then I really didnt know as much as I do now or understand it as well as I do now. But I guess that's what it is all about you never stop learning and this forum is good place to share that knowledge. You also find out that you are not the only nutcase out there...there are others some in a much worse state than me...Dave!!!

Cheers
Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:35 pm

Cowley wrote:
newt5550 wrote:But in the Summer 2000 issue was an even better advert in the classified bit which made me smile. No prizes for guessing who put it in but it is quiet obvious (does have his name at the end of ad')

MG METRO 6R4
What a great publication Motorsport Collector was as well! I too have every issue Chris, even the Summer 2000 issue with aforementioned advert within! Rolling Eyes

Chris actually came to my house around that time, and my collection was going to be featured within the magazine's pages, but then they 'pulled the plug' so to speak! That could have been the BEST SELLER that was needed, or not!... Wink

It's probably the thought of all the stuff you got that frightened them David Laughing
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:37 pm

CDM wrote:Dave

I remember the day very well....all those ARG overalls, bits of cars and assorted 6R4 memorabilia, the filing cabinet!! it would have filled their pages!!

In principle it was a good magazine. It was aimed at the collectors on limited budgets like we all are on the forum, but in their wisdom they rebranded it and went up market into the bigger auctions and away from what we would want.

On the old forum I think Andy had got all our old articles into the forum archive.

I would have to say although I collected rally stuff back then I really didnt know as much as I do now or understand it as well as I do now. But I guess that's what it is all about you never stop learning and this forum is good place to share that knowledge. You also find out that you are not the only nutcase out there...there are others some in a much worse state than me...Dave!!!

Cheers
Chris

lol!
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down