Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pikes Peak 1/43rd Audi Quattro dilemma Keep the Minichamps or trade it in and buy the Spark?!!

+5
Hampton Caught
newt5550
Simon6R4
dbonser
Sal
9 posters

Go down

Pikes Peak 1/43rd Audi Quattro dilemma Keep the Minichamps or trade it in and buy the Spark?!! Empty Pikes Peak 1/43rd Audi Quattro dilemma Keep the Minichamps or trade it in and buy the Spark?!!

Post  Sal Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Whilst surfing t'internet at lunchtime saw that Spark are really going to step up their Pikes Peak series in the coming months and having a bit of a sideline in my collection for that famous event was interested to see the 87 winning Quattro S1 of Sir Walter in amongst the scheduled releases. Problem is already have Minichamps version in the special gatefold box so my problem is keep it or sell which on current prices could see it pay for 2 or 3 Sparks if I buy them from Europe. What do you all think I should do?!

Sal

Back to top Go down

Pikes Peak 1/43rd Audi Quattro dilemma Keep the Minichamps or trade it in and buy the Spark?!! Empty Re: Pikes Peak 1/43rd Audi Quattro dilemma Keep the Minichamps or trade it in and buy the Spark?!!

Post  dbonser Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:33 pm

Sal wrote:Whilst surfing t'internet at lunchtime saw that Spark are really going to step up their Pikes Peak series in the coming months and having a bit of a sideline in my collection for that famous event was interested to see the 87 winning Quattro S1 of Sir Walter in amongst the scheduled releases. Problem is already have Minichamps version in the special gatefold box so my problem is keep it or sell which on current prices could see it pay for 2 or 3 Sparks if I buy them from Europe. What do you all think I should do?!
I'm facing the same dilemma. Saw the Spark version a few days ago and have the Minichamps. If Spark is definitely going to release this my gut reaction would be to sell the Minichamps soon before everyone everyone else does the same thing. I think there may be enough Minichamps fans/collectors though that people may want the Minichamps version instead of Spark's.

Decisions decisions...

dbonser

Back to top Go down

Pikes Peak 1/43rd Audi Quattro dilemma Keep the Minichamps or trade it in and buy the Spark?!! Empty Re: Pikes Peak 1/43rd Audi Quattro dilemma Keep the Minichamps or trade it in and buy the Spark?!!

Post  Sal Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:45 pm

They are doing Bobby Unsers car from 86 as well so my motivation to potentially swap is two fold a) can hopefully get a decent amount for the Minichamps car and b) would prefer to have mouldings from the same company for both versions! They are also doing Mouton's "short" Quattro as well which I know Ixo/Altaya have done but suprised that Minichamps never bothered although stopped trying to second guess their logic years ago!

Sal

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon6R4 Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:47 pm

That's interesting and great to hear that Spark are doing these Quattros. I have the same dilemma as well then scratch I have the Minichamps one although I bought it cheap from europe when it first came out. Are there any pics about of the Spark ones? It's good that they are doing the Unser and Mouton cars, I have a Starter kit (unbuilt) of the Unser car and just this weekend bought a made up Scala 43 Mouton car although haven't yet received it.!

The Minichamps 1987 ones seem to vary quite a bit in price on ebay, saw one a few weeks back for £45 BIN and then a week or so after that one for £113 ??

Going on the quality of the other Spark models I expect these new models will be very well cast as well. Going to be an expensive year for us Pikes Peak fans!!
Simon6R4
Simon6R4

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:58 pm

In my mind i would sell the Minichamps version and buy the Spark ones then they are of all the same build, shape etc etc. Plus if you have wall cabinets like myself the Minichamps flip box can't be displayed and i wouldn't want to remove it from the box.
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi Simon, I was strangely drawn to your avatar! sunny

Seems like the Rasmusheugen decal artwork arrived safely, then! Very Happy

Would that be my Steve Palmer 6R4 in the foreground?? santa

I don't have any Pikes Peak models in the cabinet yet, but do have some Tore Bratlei 6R4 decals (which one day will find their way on to a body!), which is probably as far as I'll go with PP cars.

I understand the dilemma, though, Minichamps v Spark. If you can, have both!! king

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon6R4 Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:20 pm

Hampton Caught wrote:Hi Simon, I was strangely drawn to your avatar!   sunny

Seems like the Rasmusheugen decal artwork arrived safely, then!  Very Happy

Would that be my Steve Palmer 6R4 in the foreground??  santa

I don't have any Pikes Peak models in the cabinet yet, but do have some Tore Bratlei 6R4 decals (which one day will find their way on to a body!), which is probably as far as I'll go with PP cars.

I understand the dilemma, though, Minichamps v Spark.  If you can, have both!!  king

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve, yes the artwork arrived safely, many thanks for that.

The Steve Palmer in the picture is not your particular one, those two in the pic are on their way flying to Europe as we speak!!

There are a few finishing touches to finish off your one I will email a pic of yours to you once completed. i was going to send you a pic of the Rasmushaugen car to you so you can see how it turned out. I'll do that in a bit:) Smile

Back on topic Very Happy I think you're right I might keep both versions Spark and Minichamps!! I can see Chris' point though that you could buy two models for what you could get for the one Minichamps version by selling it. Decisions, decisions scratch
Simon6R4
Simon6R4

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:31 pm

If you can be certain of Spark releasing the car, I would definitely sell. Did the same with an RS1700T kit on the hope that both Neo and RPM will release models/kits. Its a nervous wait, but if it comes good, the old 2 for 1 can't be beaten. (Still waiting for RPM's 1700T kit to be relased - fingers crossed) If it doesn't come out you will be kicking yourself or at worst, have to rely on buying a Minichamps back on Fleabay and hoping you dont have to pay too much over the odds to reacquire. At least in this case, whilst not 10 a penny, the Rohrl Pikes Peak does come up from time to time. I know, as I sold mine a year ago Smile
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks guys for the opinons looks I better get my Minichamps car on Fleabay before everyone else! Nice to see other forum members with an interest in this event!

Am certain Spark will model the car as they have signed a licencing agreement with the organisers and now all their models come in special Pikes Peak branded boxes. Infact they re-released the Loeb 208T16 with a driver figure having already sold the model in Peugeot branded packaging which is the one I've got.

May have to impose a cut off of the year Loeb won for my collection, as now the course is all tarmac last years event seemed to be inundated with electric powered open toppers and prior to the European works teams getting involved the event was the domain of big engined sprint cars etc, however there are many interesting cars that didnt win like Wilson's and Dorans RS200s and the Alessandrinis Delta S4 that hopefully will get picked up by Spark and make for a nice little addition to the collection especially now as have decided to offload all my Group A Touring Cars!

Sal

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:52 am

Vitor in Portugal has already produced decals for the Wilson RS200, Doran RS200, Rennison RS200, Arnesson Quattro, Allesandrini Delta S4, and the Bratlie Metro 6R4 that Steve mentioned Chris. Wink Defo be worth contacting him if you fancy adding to your collection quicker than waiting for Spark to jump into life! Wink
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:03 pm

No time for self builts this year unless they are very minor re decalling jobs so am happy to wait but thanks for the tip.

Sal

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:36 pm

Fair enough Chris, and to be fair, I know exactly what you're referring to!... ...time, and the distinct lack of it! Sad
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:19 pm

I know what you mean by a lack of time.

Bizarrely, I managed to make some time over the weekend and took a previously stripped and primered 6R4 body and modified it further over the weekend, designed and printed some decals and painted the body to create the George Tracey 6R4 rallycross car.

Still need to find some more time to finish the model off - windows in, final assembly.... hopefully so it's on display at Race Retro next week.

Final thought on 'time' from me, is a quote from Stan Laurel, one of my personal heroes:

'Time flies like an arrow: Fruit flies like a banana' jocolor

You can't say fairer than that!!!

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  burnsy471 Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:25 am

Big thumbs up to Spark for doing the Pikes Peak cars. I love the insanity of them, and the event.

Looks like another themed collection to shoot for Very Happy

burnsy471

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Got Spark's Millen Celica and Tajima SX4 recently and they are great models even if the size of the wings means they take up quite a lot of space! Hopefully they will not just stop at the outright winners as lots of interesting cars that were either class winners or just looked the biz. They will be able to use some of the mouldings for rally versions as well which can only be a good thing.

Sal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Lowe Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:12 pm

i sold my minichamps version and wished i kept it
Mark Lowe
Mark Lowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down