Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old forum.

+10
Admin
David Napier
Beaney
scottedogg
Dr Tumbo
Cowley
Ted Creedon
brian
Cazzo
GroupB4eva
14 posters

Go down

Old forum. Empty Old forum.

Post  GroupB4eva Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:24 pm

What I could never understand with the old forum was that you had to register before you could look in/browse. Normaly with forums the only time you need to do this is if you want to start posting. Thats the best thing about this new forum. I'd say this has a much better chance of getting bigger so lets keep it this way and none of that closed shop stuff. People will find us and stay with us and won't be put off with having to register.

GroupB4eva

Back to top Go down

Old forum. Empty Re: Old forum.

Post  Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:47 pm

Nothing wrong with Pat's forum
Like most of us we would register regardless as model rally cars is our passion

Back to top Go down

Post  Cazzo Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:53 pm

Funny enough, That's one of the things I liked about the old place,
It meant that only registered members could read & post.... this only added to the family/community atmosphere Cool

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 am

Its something i liked about the old forum as well. It meant that admin could control who saw what was said on the site. If someone was banned/deleted for whatever reason, they could no longer see what was happening on site. You were no longer part of the community, and so, should not get any benifit from it, eg links to stuff found on ebay, discounts for forum members etc

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Creedon Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 pm

I agree lads.

I never felt Pat's forum was a closed shop. Though I considered myself a relative newcomer I never felt treated in a different way than anyone else and found advice & assistance easily forthcoming from other forum members, the vast majority I had never come across or met beforehand. I know very few of them, those I do know I'd have met through my rallying days when younger, fitter and less careless with my money!!!

I think the whole point of forums like these ones are to provide the likes of us with help, assistance, information, tips, hints, photos and so forth. If you wish to be part of it, then register - it's a free service and a free choice, don't register if you don't want to.

Fair dues to Nicky for taking on the site and glad to see that all the friendly faces have made the transition. Long may it survive.
Ted Creedon
Ted Creedon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Agree totally about the old forum - there wasn't anything wrong with the way Pat ran things, or the way it was set up. It strikes me that there were a handful of bitter individuals that ruined it for the remainder of the friendly and likeable individuals, ie the minority ruined it for the majority - but isn't that always the case? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that this forum is actually set up the same in that you cannot see anything until you have registered and signed on - or am I wrong stating that? Embarassed
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Tumbo Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:51 pm

If anything I personally had no issues on the old forum - like anyplace if you come in with an ego expect it to be burned; never expect to get along with anyone; remember that the passion is the main aim and that we all have different backgrounds; different collations and different skill levels.

I would like to hope that we can stay one big and happyish family Smile those from the start should remember that rallymodelforum was originally setup to avoid the politics involved on other boards
Dr Tumbo
Dr Tumbo

Back to top Go down

Post  scottedogg Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Dr Tumbo wrote:If anything I personally had no issues on the old forum - like anyplace if you come in with an ego expect it to be burned; never expect to get along with anyone; remember that the passion is the main aim and that we all have different backgrounds; different collations and different skill levels.

I would like to hope that we can stay one big and happyish family Smile those from the start should remember that rallymodelforum was originally setup to avoid the politics involved on other boards

Well said Sir! cheers

--------
Scott

scottedogg

Back to top Go down

Post  Beaney Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:18 pm

I personally liked the fact you had to register to see the posts... if your generally interested then registering wont take long... also helps to post... and share collections and have an input to the forum!!
Beaney
Beaney

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:32 pm

I think a limited view to people who arent registered/signed in would be a good idea? If I found a forum on google and had to register to see anything and know if it was my thing or not I wouldnt bother, and have in the past ignored forums for this reason, equally I have lurked on some forums for a fairly long time as when I could see all I wanted and search etc without registering then there was no point registering till I had specific questions I wanted to ask. I think there is/ was a british rally forum that had partial access before signing up? not sure which tho

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  GroupB4eva Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Why is every body saying how good the old forum was. That wasn't my queary, I never questioned that fact. Yes a few people did ruin it for the majority. Those people who foolishly thought that with it being a private forum they could get away with slating various E-Bay sellers and it was poor old Pat that faced the music over it. Nicky will do too if the same continues on here.

GroupB4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Whoa guys its all cool Smile I have got the forum set for members only to view any of the forum for the meantime. But, soon enough I will run a poll on what features people feel the place needs, or what improvements are needed. If alot of members feel that non members should have access to say general, model builders thread, and links for instance. Then I will look into it, so non members at least get a look at what the forum is like before signing up. I wouldnt allow non members access to for sale, wanted and other parts of the forum. But like I say, we can run a poll soon and take it from there Smile

Admin
Admin

https://www.diecastrallymodels.com

Back to top Go down

Post  modelrallysport.com Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Good idea nicky for a poll----i favour the "sign in method" though

modelrallysport.com

http://www.modelrallysport.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:23 am

I think a poll in a few weeks time is an excellent idea Nicky. Rolling Eyes It'll give people a chance to get used to the new forum and all of it's features, whilst at the same time seeing how it develops 'out in the field', before making any real sweeping changes. Odd glitches can be sorted along the way as and when they get pointed out.

Personally, I like the idea of non-members being able to see selected sections of the forum prior to registration - that way at least they get a hint of what the forum is all about, and what a friendly bunch of individuals we are, before they actually sign all of their finances away lol! Wink
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  GroupB4eva Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 am

modelrallysport.com wrote:Good idea nicky for a poll----i favour the "sign in method" though
I'd have thought that being a sort of trader on here you'd have wanted as many people as possible to view your goods, especially in todays climate?

GroupB4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  GroupB4eva Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:11 am

Cowley wrote:

Personally, I like the idea of non-members being able to see selected sections of the forum prior to registration - that way at least they get a hint of what the forum is all about, and what a friendly bunch of individuals we are, before they actually sign all of their finances away lol! Wink
Thats exactly what I mean. I suggest that you need to register only to be able to view the for sale, wanted and look what i've found forums. Also have a minimum post of say 30 before you can offer things for sale that way people on here can get a feel for the new members and so get some sort of trust with them before parting with any money, also it stops people just using the forum to just off load things.
Every other part of the forum should be left open to non registered users.
Also one of the biggest faults with the old forum was that it wasn't possible to speak your mind with out being jumped on. A forum is a place where you should be able to have a discussion and not have to agree with everyone. Also there is nothing wrong with criticism as long as its constructive, something else that was a no go area on the old forum. Obviously offensive comments etc shouldn't be tolerated.

GroupB4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Tumbo Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:42 am

I like the idea of having parts of the forum open to all who come - perhaps though in addition to the mentioned sections we could also join some other forums and include the 'my collection' section in the hidden for non-members?
Dr Tumbo
Dr Tumbo

Back to top Go down

Post  GroupB4eva Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:55 am

Dr Tumbo wrote:I like the idea of having parts of the forum open to all who come - perhaps though in addition to the mentioned sections we could also join some other forums and include the 'my collection' section in the hidden for non-members?
There is no harm in non registered users in viewing other peoples models, then they are more inclined to post pics of some of theirs. I should have also added that you would need to register to post anything anyway. You need to keep most of the forum open so that people can get a feel for it, in a window shopping sort of way.

GroupB4eva

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Is it just me or has the old forum gone "off the air". I logged in on an occasional basis - mainly to wonder at the photos particularly of Xav' s old collection. Its a pity if these have been lost.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  Cazzo Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Yeah James, I too looked in now and again and couldn't a few days ago, I think Andy took it over and was running it,
I'd say it's just off-line and all the info is still there as this happened to that site before in between Pat closing it down and Andy starting it again

Cazzo
Cazzo

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:32 pm

The old forum was running OK until 'someone' in India decided it would be good fun and hack into the site and wreck it.

It would cost Andy a great deal of time and money to sort out, so Andy has just decided to leave it dormant for the moment.

All there is now is a redirect to some other sites.

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:57 pm

The barstools. Why do people do this. They wouldn't like if it was done to them  Evil or Very Mad 
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down