Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henri Toivonen myth or truth

2 posters

Go down

Henri Toivonen myth or truth Empty Henri Toivonen myth or truth

Post  CDM Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Its 30 years ago this May 2nd since Henri Toivonen and Sergio Cresto left the stage for ever.

I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, he was my hero, I couldnt believe it.

But there had always been this story from the 1986 Portugal Rally where they used the Estoril GP circuit that Henri would have qualified 6th on the grid if he had been qualifying for the Grand Prix there. The cars were quick and this sort of indicated just how quick.........

But never let the truth get in the way of a good story.....

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/motorsports/offroad/stories/1331586320250/henri-toivonen-at-estoril-exploring-the-myth

I was marshalling on an historic rally in Spain a few years ago and we came up this road that was clearely a rally road - new smooth tarmac, double armco up both sides, the road going right, left, right, left, right, left all the way to the top of the pass. Loose your place on the notes and it was straight into the barrier.

Pete Davis was the Rally Director and had been a navigator for Mark Lovell back in the 1980s. I asked PD how on earth you navigated such a road without loosing your place?

He related a story about Henri Toivonen and Ian Grindrod. I guess it might have been in a Rothmans Porsche and they had just completed such a stage, coasting into the finish control, taking their helmets off Ian in his broad Lancastrian accent asks Henri How was that, were the notes OK? Yes...Was there enough information? Yes...Dont need to add anything for the next run? No all OK. Pace of the notes was that Ok? Yes perfect Ian.....So how come I have 3 pages of notes left?

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Henri Toivonen myth or truth Empty Re: Henri Toivonen myth or truth

Post  brian Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:16 pm

I remember my dad bought a VHS tape at a car boot sale one Sunday and it was the one about Henri's career. I didnt know much about rallying at the time, and my dad and brother wouldnt have known much about rallying outside Ireland. It was the mid 90s so there was no internet to be able to follow it. I remember watching the tape and being on awe of everything he did. The way he made that Sunbeam dance was incredible. He got more out of that car than it should have been able to give in the same way as Colin in the Nova.

I remember being almost in tears when it got to the part where he died. Lump in my throat and total shock. I never know his story and never imagined he could have died in a rally car crash. I think I watched the tape a few more times but turned it off before it got to that part of the story.

On that tape though i think it is mentioned that he would have been 6th or 7th on the grid for the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix. Incredible when you think those cars were capable of doing those speeds on any surface

Back to top Go down