Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VW to quit WRC?

+6
Dr Tumbo
sbuckley
David Napier
srsmodels
Speedy
reeft1
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

VW to quit WRC? Empty VW to quit WRC?

Post  reeft1 Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:21 pm

Andy (Rallymodels) Facebook site is reporting the alledged forthcoming news that VW could pull out of the 2017 WRC championship for the same reason as Audi have pulled out of Le Mans- cash strapped due to the emission scandal.

Could be confirmed after a board meeting on 1st November.

How would people feel about that?
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

VW to quit WRC? Empty Re: VW to quit WRC?

Post  Speedy Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:35 pm

Autocar were the ones to announce it first http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport-wrc/volkswagen-quit-world-rally-championship

I'd say Kris Meeke and Craig Breen are relieved men tonight as they have secured their seats for next year. I'd say Tommi Makkinen's door will be getting knocked on in the next week or two with people looking for a drive next year
Speedy
Speedy

http://www.peespeed.com

Back to top Go down

Post  srsmodels Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:10 pm

I for one won't miss them

Plus I would love to see 'big baby ogier cry alot' without a drive

srsmodels

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:17 pm

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126936

Autosport reporting it as news now, I wonder will a 'private' team run the Polos next year given that VW have already developed them?

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  sbuckley Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:38 pm

I wouldn't be too sure about, partularly Breen, beeing too relieved. I'm sure contracts can be bought out. This isn't good news a all. Remember Citroen's decision to go with the WRC over the WTCC was because China was going to run a WRC event and this is a major market for them. Now that China didn't hold their event this year and look like it won't happen next year either - Citroen might not be around for all that long either. It's not just Ogier without a drive but Latvala, Mikkelsen ...and I'm sure Ostberg has money to get him a drive somewhere next year.
My guess would be Latvala to Toyota posibly with Mikkelsen BUT I wouldn't be surprised to see Ogier in a Citroen next year unless he sees Toyota as better long term bet!
sbuckley
sbuckley

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Its disappointing news, Breen, Tanak, Evans, Lappi and Hanninen were drivers I'd have hoped/expected to get a good run out next year, contracts are all nice but if the 3 VW drivers are out looking seats it all is going to kick off. Mind you I'd chose any of the above over the 2 works Ford drivers. (I think Latvala has had his chance and should go chop wood or chill in a hot tub now, Ogier has destroyed his fragile head)

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  srsmodels Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:13 pm

At least now the likes of Ostslow and total waste of a seat a camilli won't be in WRC in 2017 unless Wilson is totally OFF the planet

Hanninen is another driver that will loose out, he's a good test driver but nothing more

srsmodels

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:40 pm

srsmodels wrote:At least now the likes of Ostslow and total waste of a seat a camilli won't be in WRC in 2017 unless Wilson is totally OFF the planet

Hanninen is another driver that will loose out, he's a good test driver but nothing more

Perhaps you are right, but likely we'll never know, certainly he was well fit for Mikkelsen in the S2000s

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Tumbo Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:21 am

srsmodels wrote:I for one won't miss them

Plus I would love to see 'big baby ogier cry alot' without a drive

The man who saw a then 7time world champion lose his mind and have him kicked off the team and then retired rather than face him in equal machinery? No more complaining than Richard "the ginger whinger" was.
And pleased to see VW leave? Cause we all saw how great the WRC became when we saw Hyundai; Seat; Toyota; Mitsubishi and Peugeot leave within a few years of each other followed by Subaru……the LAST thing this series needs is the loss of another top-line team. Realistically the WRC will be dead within a few shorts yrs at this rate while the RallyX takes over [even today you can't argue that it is even a shadow of where the series was in 2003]
Dr Tumbo
Dr Tumbo

Back to top Go down

Post  srsmodels Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:51 am

Tumho it's very sad when you have to insult British drivers that tragically passed away to defend the mind numingly
Boring ogier.

Totally disgusting

srsmodels

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Tumbo Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:54 am

srsmodels wrote:Tumho it's very sad when you have to insult British drivers that tragically passed away to defend the mind numingly
Boring ogier.

Totally disgusting

Not insulting at all - I was a fan of Burns for yrs, devastated that he left Subaru; so excited he was coming back to them prior to his diagnosis and subsequent forced retirement - but don't for a MOMENT try and change history; that was his nickname. Look at all the multitude of articles round the 99-2000 era? The British press loved to hate him until he broke through for the unexpected championship in 2001. And to say that likening Burns to a 4-times world champ and only the 3rd man in history behind Makinen and Loeb to win four consecutive championships is insulting to Burns maybe take off the one-dimension glasses Steve
Dr Tumbo
Dr Tumbo

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Dr Tumbo wrote:
srsmodels wrote:Tumho it's very sad when you have to insult British drivers that tragically passed away to defend the mind numingly
Boring ogier.

Totally disgusting

Not insulting at all - I was a fan of Burns for yrs, devastated that he left Subaru; so excited he was coming back to them prior to his diagnosis and subsequent forced retirement - but don't for a MOMENT try and change history; that was his nickname. Look at all the multitude of articles round the 99-2000 era? The British press loved to hate him until he broke through for the unexpected championship in 2001. And to say that likening Burns to a 4-times world champ and only the 3rd man in history behind Makinen and Loeb to win four consecutive championships is insulting to Burns maybe take off the one-dimension glasses Steve

British media did try to paint a McRae vs Burns picture, twas all bs but it did get folk interested. Burns was the man in '00 even if he had to wait 12months for his title. I was in Radnor on a foggy Monday morning in '97, Burns was supreme in those very tricky conditions.

But anyway, Ogier is awesome, rules made to hold Loeb back had to be made harsher to hold Ogier back, he has a right to complain, the WRC running order shafts him.

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  GKnight Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:27 am

It's a shame to lose VW for sure, especially with Toyota joining the party. I'm sure Tommi will do everything in his power to secure JML.

Would be absolutely brilliant to see Ogier in a Red Bull Fiesta next year though Very Happy

GKnight

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:31 pm

To find out more on possibly places for the VW drivers dated 4th Nov

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/november-2016/vw-drivers-/page/4057--12-12-.html

The comments below about Ogier wingeing.... as David Napier says he has a right to.

A change to the running order will be in place for 2017 read about it on the Autosport pages
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126982/controversial-wrc-running-order-rules-changed  

As for describing Richard Burns as the 'ginger winger', in many years of being involved in rallying I have never heard of that comment made in period or since about one Britains star rally drivers. Burnsie was a very considered driver, racking up the points by finishing as high up as possible - points mean prizes.

Colins approach was slightly different - at times it was a bit like Sh** or Bust and others very considered. Both deserved more titles, but thats another story.

In my early days of rallying I thought I would never see a British Champion. But when Colin and Richard won theirs it was like a dream. I was there, it was fantastic.

Todays stars are no different. Ogier has stated he hates finishing anywhere but first. Its a bit like Lewis Hamilton, these guys are all winners and cant deal with coming second as it feels like failure to them.

VW have done an amazing job in bringing spectators and TV coverage back to the WRC. Lets hope their drivers get a seat for WRC 2017.

As the old rally sages will say.....

To finish first you first have to finish....All the prizes are at the end

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:17 am

Quite remarkable figures for Volkswagen’s 2013-2016 WRC career in numbers (as of Wales Rally GB 2016)

Victories – 42 out of 51 (31 for Ogier, nine for Latvala, two for Mikkelsen)
Podiums – 84 (40 for Ogier, 25 for Latvala, 19 for Mikkelsen)
Stage wins – 622 out of 980
Drivers’ titles – Four (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Co-drivers’ titles – Four (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
Manufacturers’ titles – Four (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)

A story of near total domination. Only 9 victories for a non VW car over the same period

Rumors are about that Red Bull might buy out the VW Polo WRC operation as they have already invested money into the 2017 cars….

http://ltmsport.com/red-bull-might-volkswagens-wrc-department/

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:04 pm

News read on Rally Models facebook pages that Ogier will sign for M Sport on Monday

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:05 am

I would be fascinated by that as i do think he's a fantastic driver (not over keen on him as an individual) and i'd love to know how much difference he would make to the Fiesta's performance.
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:19 am

reeft1 wrote:I would be fascinated by that as i do think he's a fantastic driver (not over keen on him as an individual) and i'd love to know how much difference he would make to the Fiesta's performance.

Agreed, I think he would bring Kubica speed with out the crashes but I really hope we get to find out!

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Mark of a true champion is to win with another team/car. Oiger has only really been sucessful in that gen polo. An upside of this whole saga is we get to see oiger with another team.

Loeb won in 3 geneations of citroen (4 if you count the saxo), mcrea with subaru and ford, sainz won where ever he went etc. This could be a blessing in disguise for oigers legacy and how hes seen among the true greats of the sport

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:04 pm

brian wrote:Mark of a true champion is to win with another team/car. Oiger has only really been sucessful in that gen polo. An upside of this whole saga is we get to see oiger with another team.

Loeb won in 3 geneations of citroen (4 if you count the saxo), mcrea with subaru and ford, sainz won where ever he went etc.  This could be a blessing in disguise for oigers legacy and how hes seen among the true greats of the sport

Ogier was pretty special in the DS3, driving against a rather handy driver who had that car built for him. I think we all rated Latvala when he joined VW but Ogier destroyed him, I think any questions over Ogiers legacy are only because of the weakness of the opposition and bias caused by the rather unfortunate way he comes across in interviews.

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:15 pm

David

Absolutely spot on..

BUT I think I have found where VW might be going with this one

https://www.rallye-magazin.de/videos/rallyfun/2018-electric-polo-r-wrc/

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  srsmodels Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 am

CDM wrote:David

Absolutely spot on..

BUT I think I have found where VW might be going with this one

https://www.rallye-magazin.de/videos/rallyfun/2018-electric-polo-r-wrc/

Chris
better enjoy WRC next year before that garbage electric starts

srsmodels

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:13 pm

VW are considering pushing into rallycross more too in the future.

The first competitive run of an electric rallycross supercar took place a week or two ago and was very competitive against the more conventionally powered opposition.

Ice racing has a formula for electric cars and any notions of milk floats 'racing' is knocked out the water.... or off the ice, from what I've seen on TV. OK, it won't be the same without the sounds (and smells) of internal combustion engines, but the speed is there and the acceleration devastating!

I expect its a matter of time before electric car racing takes hold. Better than not racing at all once the dinosaur juice runs out!

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  CDM Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:20 am

Rally Australia is over and Andreas Mikkelsen beasts Ogier in a straight fight. Well done Andreas who has played brides maid to Ogier and Latvala in all of his time at VW.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/november-2016/australia-sunday-wrap/page/4099--12-12-.html

So thats it VW end their time in the WRC.

Lots of stories around about where the cars and drivers might go in 2017.

Find out more on http://www.wrc.com/vs/en/index.html or http://www.autosport.com/rallying/

Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:01 am

It was an excellent drive from Mikkelsen to beat Ogier, road conditions between the two would have been quite similar, I was actually rooting for Ogier on this as I felt he deserved a dry gravel win after a year of road sweeping.

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next