Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

internet issues

4 posters

Go down

internet issues Empty internet issues

Post  bmd Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:45 pm

guys, i access my fav sights from my bookmarks drop-down list, for couple of days now, when i select both the forum and ebay from the list, i get warning red pages from mcafee security saying there are dangers ahead and i close page immediately...i notice though that when i just google the name of both sites and go in from there the message doesn't appear....is this something i should be concerned about? my security is up t date and says my pc is secure so im a bit lost? cheers in advance...
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

internet issues Empty Re: internet issues

Post  newt5550 Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Billy, it's an issue with mcafee. I have disabled mine and then deleted mcafee all together. Norton is the same. I'm using Windows defender now. Working totally fine and computer is faster. Mcafee was slowing it down greatly. A computer whizz I know recommended Windows which he uses and he runs his own server and has never had an issue plus it's free unlike the said others.
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:18 pm

ah hi chris, many thanks m8, thought I was under attack there lol!! cheers m8, hope all well with you... Smile
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:34 pm

McAfee and Norton used to be decent back on in the mid 2000s but have become bloated with lots of features you dont need. The hog computer resources and are more hassle than they are worth.

There are several free antivirus scanners that are many times better than the above, coupled with malwarebytes will keep you safe.

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:46 pm

hi brian, cheers for that m8, i had malwarebytes installed but see ive let my subscription slide....must sort that...
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:26 pm

I used to run Malwarebytes and Windows Defender but was recently advised by Microsoft when i was trying to fix a windows 10 issue that they would conflict. Do you need both or will Windows 10/Defender in isolation suffice? (I removed Malwarebytes at the suggestion of Microsoft)
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Windows Defender will / should be enough as it is built to protect Windows programmes. I wouldn't think malwarebytes would needed?
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks Chris- that was my view/hope as well
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:14 am

just a thought brian, paul, but would it be an idea to have pc/internet section for queries such as this...as we're web-based there are bound to be issues that crop up now and again and I for one greatly appreciate the advice and comments from members who are, dare I say it, younger and more switched on to this whole inter-web thingymajig? lol... Embarassed
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum