Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brexit implications

5 posters

Go down

Brexit implications Empty Brexit implications

Post  JOB Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:30 pm

I would prefer if this thread stuck to discussing the aspect I am highlighting. The rights and wrongs and even the outcome are pretty much outside of any of our control.

I happened to be in the car this afternoon and it was mentioned on the radio that vat and maybe even duty will apply in the event of a "crash out brexit" to some items purchased on-line from the UK.  Has anyone looked into the possible effects this may have in the trade in models and decals between the UK and the EU. Mention was made of ebay purchases and the onus on couriers/postal authorities having to collect duty and vat.

Maybe some of the members living in Oz could enlighten us as to what happens there with current EU purchases.  I know the US can be hit and miss with extra charges.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Brexit implications Empty Re: Brexit implications

Post  Sal the 2nd Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:59 pm

bought a 1/18th from Turkey a couple of weeks ago and the seller forgot/would not to mark the customs form as a gift and put the full value down. I ended up paying £30 including a £12 handling fee by Parcelforce. Suspect this may be the norm post March 29.
Sal the 2nd
Sal the 2nd

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Tumbo Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:41 am

since our newly introduced GST on overseas purchases (basically previously exempt for purchases under $1000 until a complete knob of a businessman who overcharges thought he could push through it to apply on everything - and no his business has not improved with the introduction) when we make a purchase on eBay it automatically adds the duty to it - the worst part.....it includes postage to calculate the 10% Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Dr Tumbo
Dr Tumbo

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:06 pm

The extra duty will be an unwelcome expense, but I've family in Eire and I've often been an address for them to use and save a few ££ on post, I guess it's time to let them return the favour now!!

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  Mal Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 am

Further to Tumbo's response, the Aust Govt has approached most of the overseas businesses that were sending things to Australia and made them also charge the Australian GST (goods and services tax) on any purchase being sent to Australia. Even if the business is not based in Australia. Quite a few businesses have stopped selling to Australians because of the added expense they incur. This saves the Australian Govt charging the GST when it goes through our customs.

Mal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down