Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK number plate font

3 posters

Go down

UK number plate font Empty UK number plate font

Post  Cowley Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:58 pm

It has always been a struggle to find a good match for the typeface used on UK number plates, and apart from drawing each character from scratch, the only other option seems to have been to settle for second best and simply 'make do' with something like Helvetica, Arial or Univers - none of which have anywhere near the right characteristics (no pun intended!).

Well, purely by accident, I discovered a font entitled UK Numberplate Font and it is available as a free truetype TTF font, downloadable from various sources - simply Google it, and job done!

HERE you will see a link to a blog entitled 'Complete Guide to Number Plate Fonts' which has some very useful information about the font, spacing, proportions, etc - it even mentions that the font is actually called 'Charles Wright' and apparently, there is even an updated version, which is sometimes called 'Charles Wright New'.

Has anybody else unearthed any useful typefaces that they would care to share?....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

UK number plate font Empty Re: UK number plate font

Post  reeft1 Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Yes. I’ll send you a link later but there is a uk number plate website where you can mock up real plates in official fonts and layouts and then save down the image. I had the same challenge and this site has proved a god send for my model building in recent years.
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Have been using that font for a long time now and its generally spot in. Very useful to have

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Try:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Even gets the right colour background
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:01 pm

brian wrote:Have been using that font for a long time now and its generally spot in. Very useful to have
Many thanks, Brian - glad to know someone else is also using the font, and it is of use.
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:08 pm

reeft1 wrote:Try:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Even gets the right colour background
Thanks, Paul.

That site works perfectly fine, however I like to create vector artwork for my decals, whereas I guess you 'Print Screen' or take a snip and crop it down to the plate outline before saving as a jpg or similar.

With the 'UK Number Plate' font, you simply type the registration plate you need, convert the text to outlines or paths, and then fill it black before dropping it on top of an overall rectangle shape for the background of the plate. There's your vector atwork file done.

I guess it's all down to personal preference, and what software you use to create your decal artwork.
Cowley
Cowley

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm

David - I do indeed crop and save as a jpg. Each to their own. My choice is driven by my non existent graphics skills.
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down