Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IXO vs Altaya cars

4 posters

Go down

IXO vs Altaya cars Empty IXO vs Altaya cars

Post  puddlejumper Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:13 pm

Hi

Sorry for the next newbie question. I have read that the Altaya cars are manufactured by IXO. Is this correct and if it is how much of a downgrade is the Altaya cars compared to the IXO car

Mainly in relation to the 1/18 Scale BMW M3, i prefer the Otto M3's but they are prohibitively expensive and the same 3 versions i believe are released by IXO/Altaya, plus hoping to do a couple of code 3 bmw's eventually

Regards
Stephen

puddlejumper

Back to top Go down

IXO vs Altaya cars Empty Re: IXO vs Altaya cars

Post  bmd Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:56 pm

hi stephen, this has come up a couple of times in recent years since they introduced their 18 scale rally models...the general consensus among those of us who collect this size is that they are relatively good value for money, when compared with Otto, Autoart, Kyosho etc..they definitely arent up to the same detailed standard but at half the price of Ottos and third the price of new AA you get what you pay for...they have also been recommended as bases for conversions, as their lower quality decals ate going to be stripped anyway...i have a couple in my collection, a Lancer, a Sierra Cossie and an i20 but only because no one else produces them and tbh they display fine on the wall beside their more expensive counterparts...re the m3, there are now several 1:18 from various manufacturers but the Otto ones are now silly money..
just my tuppenceworth mate, others may have different opinions...
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:31 pm

Ive got several Otto M3s but ive yet to compare them too a cheaper model. The Altayas dont look right but id like to see one up close to compare.
I do have an Altaya Seirra which I converted to a Russel Brooks car. Compared to an autoart, there no comparison in quality and detail. But also price. There is no way i would have attempted a code 3 on one of those. Make a mistake, loose a part, break a clear part and thats 200e down the drain.
When they are in a display cabinate, from a few feet away, altaya or IXO are decent.
If the cheaper M3s are not for you, give it some time and wait for Otto to release another M3 and buy up stock then. Buying direct will be about the same as an IXO.

Im sure anyone would be happy to show you one in the flesh depending on where your based

Back to top Go down

Post  puddlejumper Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:06 pm

Thank you for the replies. I have bought 5 Otto models this month and the detail and quality is excellent, but the price of back catalogue rally cars are about 3 times the original price.

I think i might just wait until an Otto 1 pops up at a reasonable price. Can you get spare parts from Otto (if i crack a window when removing etc)?

Regards
Stephen

puddlejumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:00 am

stephen just my opinion but i would advise trying masking off windows first rather than removing them...you wont break them as theyre not rigid plastic, but a flimsy acetate-like material, however getting them glued back on can be a tricky job...
otto dont officially provide an extensive spare parts service normally but it wouldnt be the first time ive got bits from them...
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  puddlejumper Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:58 pm

bmd wrote:stephen just my opinion but i would advise trying masking off windows first rather than removing them...you wont break them as theyre not rigid plastic, but a flimsy acetate-like material, however getting them glued back on can be a tricky job...

Thank you, that may be a better option than trying to remove them and refit.

Regards
Stephen

puddlejumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:05 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234343112695?epid=28037755779&hash=item368ff01ff7:g:cioAAOSwA1Ve7kNZ
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  puddlejumper Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:20 am

Thank you. i have this in my watch list. Just got my hands on an Otto McRae Legacy, so waiting to see how much the import duty etc on this will be.

Regards
Stephen

puddlejumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:19 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234328896333?hash=item368f17334d:g:alIAAOSw1rZfjE1~
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  RORY O CONNOR Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:59 pm

I have several OTTO M3s-all dismantled but can provide the parts to rebuild
RORY O CONNOR
RORY O CONNOR

Back to top Go down

Post  puddlejumper Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:18 pm

bmd wrote:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234328896333?hash=item368f17334d:g:alIAAOSw1rZfjE1~

Thank you. That one looks like it's worth a punt

Regards
Stephen

puddlejumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down