Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eammon McAleenan's Rover for Loughall

5 posters

Go down

Eammon McAleenan's Rover for Loughall Empty Eammon McAleenan's Rover for Loughall

Post  Mark Lowe Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Picture by John Smith
Eammon McAleenan's Rover for Loughall 6745_186111758205556_1022218244_n
Mark Lowe
Mark Lowe

Back to top Go down

Eammon McAleenan's Rover for Loughall Empty Re: Eammon McAleenan's Rover for Loughall

Post  newt5550 Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Oh yeah. Can't beat an old classic. That will be a handfull me thinks Laughing
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Eammon McAleenan's Rover for Loughall Empty Re: Eammon McAleenan's Rover for Loughall

Post  turn the wheel Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:08 pm

That looks smart......i can hear that glorious V8 sound now!!!!

turn the wheel

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Fri May 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Wonder why I missed this when Mark first posted the picture? My Rover radar must have been faulty!! Laughing

I've always loved the double-headlight conversion as per this car, seemed to suit it very well. The Americns got the double headlights, was used on some of the rally and circuit racing SD1s , but not on the UK road cars. Wonder why!?

Thanks for posting Mark, any news on the car's activities? Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Fri May 24, 2013 6:33 pm

Photos courtesy of the (my) Austin Rover Motorsport Facebook group! Wink

The Rover SD1 was originally designed with the 'normal' rectangular headlights, Steve - they were only changed to the nicer twin circular arrangement due to American regulations. If you recall Steve, the latter were also responsible for the ungainly rubber bumpers, triple windscreen wipers, and massive side indicators on the 1970s MGBs and MG Midgets.

Oh, and the twin circular headlight setup was only used on SOME rally cars - the touring cars always used the standard European rectangular versions.
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Lowe Fri May 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Hampton Caught wrote:Wonder why I missed this when Mark first posted the picture? My Rover radar must have been faulty!! Laughing

I've always loved the double-headlight conversion as per this car, seemed to suit it very well. The Americns got the double headlights, was used on some of the rally and circuit racing SD1s , but not on the UK road cars. Wonder why!?

Thanks for posting Mark, any news on the car's activities? Cheers, Steve

Your Rover Radar must be like old Rovers
OLD Laughing

Eammon has broken his leg so the car will be used by someone else

Mark Lowe
Mark Lowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Lowe Fri May 24, 2013 8:06 pm

I thought John sent me the pics David in an email aswell as some other info Very Happy
Mark Lowe
Mark Lowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 pm

I don't doubt it Mark - I just thought I'd get a free plug in! Wink Never one to miss an opportunity and all that...
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Sat May 25, 2013 12:35 am

Hi David,

Totally agree with your earlier post.

Still don't understand why the double headlight unit wasn't an option over here! I know David Bache styled it with the rectangular lights from the outset, and a great job he did too, but having fettled so much of the car between series one and two and with different models in the range, surely the rectangular eyes could have made way for the double lights at some point in the UK. Rolling Eyes

Sorry to hear that Eammon has a broken leg. Trust he gets well soon. Do let us know if the Rover gets let off the lead to have some competitive fun.

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down