Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Display cabinets and model rooms, ideas please

+6
bmd
JOB
GKnight
cowfeeder
Speedy
David Napier
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Display cabinets and model rooms, ideas please - Page 2 Empty Re: Display cabinets and model rooms, ideas please

Post  reeft1 Fri May 05, 2017 12:49 pm

I had Bertby cabinets (5) and got a glazier to make up extra shelves at about £6 a shelf. Mine were packed in like Sardines but I had 25 shelves in each cabinet with 6/7 1/43 cars on each shelf. The extra shelf pegs were bought from B&Q.

I outed those earlier this year and went for custom made Acrylic cabinets - they look superb but were expensive though - one big cabinet can hold at a guess 500 1/43 models, more if you pack them in more tightly than I now do.

There's a good link here to show you some ideas:

http://www.scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11078&start=24
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Display cabinets and model rooms, ideas please - Page 2 Empty Re: Display cabinets and model rooms, ideas please

Post  JOB Fri May 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Cowley wrote:So the shelves are deep enough if the models are removed from their bases?  I guess the unmounted models would also fit (height wise) if additional shelves were fitted in-between each white shelf as well, James?

Yes to first question.
Maybe to second question - model itself would but anything with a roof aerial would be in trouble.

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat May 06, 2017 10:37 am

JOB wrote:
Cowley wrote:So the shelves are deep enough if the models are removed from their bases?  I guess the unmounted models would also fit (height wise) if additional shelves were fitted in-between each white shelf as well, James?

Yes to first question.
Maybe to second question - model itself would but anything with a roof aerial would be in trouble.
Thanks, James.

How many 1/43rds do you reckon could fit on each shelf, without bases?

So rather than adding one extra shelf between two, it might be better adding two shelves between every three - if that makes sense?
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Sat May 06, 2017 10:38 am

Sorry for hijacking your thread, David - hope you too have found the latest posts of worth. Wink
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  David Napier Sat May 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Cowley wrote:Sorry for hijacking your thread, David - hope you too have found the latest posts of worth. Wink

It all helps, I've 1/43, 1/32, 1/24, 1/18 and some other odd sizes in my collection, still some structural work to do before I can start fitting out, yesterday I was wrestling a Hilti concrete breaker to sort out the floor, bit by bit I'll get there Very Happy

David Napier

Back to top Go down

Post  JOB Sun May 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Cowley wrote:
JOB wrote:

Yes to first question.
Thanks, James.

How many 1/43rds do you reckon could fit on each shelf, without bases?

So rather than adding one extra shelf between two, it might be better adding two shelves between every three - if that makes sense?
I would estimate somewhere between 8 and 10 depending on sizeDisplay cabinets and model rooms, ideas please - Page 2 20170432

JOB

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon May 22, 2017 11:15 am

David,

Just to add my tuppeneth: My models are wall mounted in picture Pride cabinets which were made to order, look very smart and are dust-free. I opted for the slightly cabinets so I can exhibit the cars on the diagonal, thereby getting more in per shelf (eg 13 1:43 scale Minis), and having a mirrored back enabling me to see all round each model - plus it makes the room look slightly bigger, which is a bonus!

I had thought Picture Pride Displays had gone into liquidation but they were there in person at Kempton Park's Model Fair yesterday. I was told that the original parent company had gone into liquidation about 3 years ago but they have continued trading under a new parent company so successfully that they haven't advertised for years and regularly work 6-7 days a week.

http://www.picture-pride-displays.co.uk/index.php

There are cheaper options out there but I wanted well made pieces of furniture for my dining room and that's what I've got on my walls. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2