Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

removing tape residue....

+3
Hampton Caught
brian
bmd
7 posters

Go down

removing tape residue.... Empty removing tape residue....

Post  bmd Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:37 pm

lads, stupidly used cheap masking tape on a wee project yesterday Embarassed , brought it off today and the paper top section came away without the really tacky glue section....before i mess up any paint or plastic, any suggestions on the safest substance to use to remove it? i was going to use meths or thinners?
cheers
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

removing tape residue.... Empty Re: removing tape residue....

Post  brian Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Spray on some wd 40 and thing just rub it with your fingernail. Should come straight off

Wont damage the paint, but it would need a really good clean if your painting it again

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Nail varnish works well on tape residue. I've used it to deal with similar problems. Don't get it muddled with nail polish, though! Very Happy Good luck!! Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:05 pm

thanks for that steve, i alway try not to mix up my nail varnish and my nail polish m8, especially if i'm going out!! Embarassed lol!
cheers m8
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Good old warm soapy water will do the trick and a bit of elbow grease, plus it's safe and kind to yours hands Embarassed
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:17 pm

newt5550 wrote:Good old warm soapy water will do the trick and a bit of elbow grease, plus it's safe and kind to yours hands Embarassed

Yep! And gives your models that 'April Freshness! Shocked Eh!? Cheers, Steve

Last edited by Hampton Caught on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:50 pm

not this flamin stuff chris, must be the cra__est so-called masking tape ever! Smile
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Thats what you get when you buy from the pound shop lol!
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:26 pm

you flamin spying on me again???!!! Evil or Very Mad
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:43 pm

newt5550 wrote:Thats what you get when you buy from the pound shop lol!
PMSL!
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:20 pm

bmd wrote:you flamin spying on me again???!!! Evil or Very Mad

Me.....noooooooooooo Suspect
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:40 pm

anyway, its called 'Pound-stretcher' so there! ..............em, apparently............ Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  newt5550 Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Ah yes but it's poundland over here and every item is, yep you guessed it. A pound Shocked
newt5550
newt5550

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:21 pm

phew!!!!!!!
after several applications of warm soapy water, wd40, nail-varnish remove then finally thinners.........its all off! Rolling Eyes won't be using that tape again, anytime soon lol!!
cheers guys! Very Happy
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  GMR..Models Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:32 pm

bmd wrote:phew!!!!!!!
after several applications of warm soapy water, wd40, nail-varnish remove then finally thinners.........its all off! Rolling Eyes won't be using that tape again, anytime soon lol!!
cheers guys! Very Happy
Billy just read this now...In future try step1 meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner for 1:1 you will find this is up for the job...Maybe find it in halfords or the likes...!
GMR..Models
GMR..Models

http://www.gmrmodels.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  bmd Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:53 pm

ah nice one thanks gary, will look it out......... then again, if its not in poundstretcher i'll never see it !!! Embarassed Embarassed
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Post  gaz_bass Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:14 pm

One thing I need to know is :-

Is there not a model builders masking tape which has a low grade (thin) to avoid deep lines developing when spraying more than on colour over another? Either that or get oot the frog tape!!!!

All advice welcomed!
gaz_bass
gaz_bass

Back to top Go down

Post  GMR..Models Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 pm

gaz_bass wrote:One thing I need to know is :-

Is there not a model builders masking tape which has a low grade (thin) to avoid deep lines developing when spraying more than on colour over another? Either that or get oot the frog tape!!!!

All advice welcomed!
Gary seen your mail...Sorry never had chance to reply as ive had very a sick child and was preoccupied at hospital ! If it helps any i always use tamiya tape, may find others have there opinions but the tamiya works for me, very clean lines and great removal everytime..BTW White first !!!!!!!!
GMR..Models
GMR..Models

Back to top Go down

Post  Cowley Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Yeah I too recommend Tamiya tape wholeheartedly, although I have not actually used any of it yet!...

...it just looks pretty in my model supplies box Gary! Rolling Eyes
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  GMR..Models Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:28 pm

Cowley wrote:Yeah I too recommend Tamiya tape wholeheartedly, although I have not actually used any of it yet!...

...it just looks pretty in my model supplies box Gary! Rolling Eyes
lol David...yeah mate you will prob fine that its A1 and well up for any job !(modelwise that is ) before the wise cracks comes in !
GMR..Models
GMR..Models

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:36 pm

I've used my 4mm Tamiya tape on one or two builds already but the big test is yet to come: Two Will Gollop red and blue Mobil Metro 6R4s. I sprayed both bodies a month back in bright red and once my show is over (I've the male lead role in Guys and Dolls next week Very Happy ) I'll be ready to tape over the red and get the blue sorted out. Can't wait!

Does anyone use the tape holder to help them apply the tape and if so, how do you do it? So far, I've been breaking lengths off and applying these freehand, but I did wonder if it might work running theholder along the model with the tape stuck down beneath! Has anyone tried it and have you any handy household tips to use it?

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  GMR..Models Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Hampton Caught wrote:I've used my 4mm Tamiya tape on one or two builds already but the big test is yet to come: Two Will Gollop red and blue Mobil Metro 6R4s. I sprayed both bodies a month back in bright red and once my show is over (I've the male lead role in Guys and Dolls next week Very Happy ) I'll be ready to tape over the red and get the blue sorted out. Can't wait!

Does anyone use the tape holder to help them apply the tape and if so, how do you do it? So far, I've been breaking lengths off and applying these freehand, but I did wonder if it might work running theholder along the model with the tape stuck down beneath! Has anyone tried it and have you any handy household tips to use it?

Cheers, Steve
Hi Steve... Ive always found you have more freedom with the tape if its snipped off the holder, Have tried keeping on tape holder to save wasteage, didnt work for me...and Guys and dolls ??? scratch Are you serious or pulling our legs lol...Good luck with the show even if i havent heard of it but youve got me interested...whens that on or what is it ?
GMR..Models
GMR..Models

Back to top Go down

Post  gaz_bass Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:25 pm

GMR..Models wrote:
gaz_bass wrote:One thing I need to know is :-

All advice welcomed!
Gary seen your mail...Sorry never had chance to reply as ive had very a sick child and was preoccupied at hospital ! If it helps any i always use tamiya tape, may find others have there opinions but the tamiya works for me, very clean lines and great removal everytime..BTW White first !!!!!!!!

Ha ha Thanks Gary! I just need to buy some black paint too...... hmmmmmm You didn't answer my other question though, but I really do appreciate you sharing your experience with me as a mere novice. I have only ever done a single colour paint job, and I am not yet sure sculpting is going to be one of my strong points! Do I have to really? I am buying black paint after all Wink

Sorry to hear about the little one - hope all is much better now mate!

Thanks again, GAZ
gaz_bass
gaz_bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:21 pm

GMR..Models wrote:
Hampton Caught wrote:I've used my 4mm Tamiya tape on one or two builds already but the big test is yet to come: Two Will Gollop red and blue Mobil Metro 6R4s. I sprayed both bodies a month back in bright red and once my show is over (I've the male lead role in Guys and Dolls next week Very Happy ) I'll be ready to tape over the red and get the blue sorted out. Can't wait!

Cheers, Steve
Hi Steve... Ive always found you have more freedom with the tape if its snipped off the holder, Have tried keeping on tape holder to save wasteage, didnt work for me...and Guys and dolls ??? scratch Are you serious or pulling our legs lol...Good luck with the show even if i havent heard of it but youve got me interested...whens that on or what is it ?

Gary, Thanks for your advice re the tape. I'll carry on as I have before, then. It's always good to know you're doing the right thing! Cool

As for Guys and Dolls, I'm absolutely serious! I've been into amateur dramatics for 8 or 9 years now, and this is the best role I've had so far. Great story, great characters and superb music, including Luck Be a Lady (one of my solos) and Sit Down, You're Rockin' The Boat, both of which are well known.

There was a film made of the musical with Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando in the 1950s. It's the first time in my life I've had something in common with Marlon Brando! We both play 'Sky Masterson' the gambler. Very Happy

The following is a link to our show's website: http://www.wwaos.org.uk/CurrentShow.asp The show runs for the week commencing Monday 26th November through to Saturday 1st December and takes place in Walton on Thames, to the south-east of London, about 3 miles from Hampton Court Palace.

The Wikipedia page for the stage musical is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guys_and_Dolls

The am dram, model making and family life help keep me off the streets and sort of sane!!! Laughing Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  gaz_bass Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Ordered some 6mm stuff as couldn't find 4mm on flea bay! With the holder which I guess protects the outer edges of the tape for neat lines.... Won't be using that as a 'dispenser'

CHEERS GUYS!!!
gaz_bass
gaz_bass

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down