Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stripes problem

4 posters

Go down

Stripes problem Empty Stripes problem

Post  sunbeamsko Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm after some advice as to which would be the best way to tackle the satin black stripes on the model below talbot sunbeam ti.
I'm looking to change the colour but obviously need to replicate the satin stripes, the smallest fine line masking tape I can find is 2mm and won't work so any ideas?

Stripes problem 361A231F-8947-47A1-91B8-0F0239C5FEE3_zpsdr3q75xh

sunbeamsko

Back to top Go down

Stripes problem Empty Re: Stripes problem

Post  Cowley Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:56 pm

How about spraying the top colour - whatever it's going to be? - then masking it off to spray the larger lower black area, and then finally finish that off with a decal of the two thinner black strips? Might be one option... Wink
Cowley
Cowley

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CODE343/414306915273338

Back to top Go down

Post  Hampton Caught Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Yep! Strip the bumpers, windows, front spoiler, lights and everything else from the body that you don't want to spray then replace the stripes and lower black transfer with black decals.

There are stockists in eBay and elsewhere that sell good quality water slide decals already cut into stripes of differing widths. Buy a black, stripey decal sheet, match the stripes on the car with those on the decal sheet, measure the gaps between them and slowly and carefully, put the new black stripes on to the body wihich you have already sprayed the colour of your choice. (The bright orange was always my favourite!). Once the paint has dried and you have left it some days to harden off before decalling, replace the windows, lights etc on the fully dried body and you're there!

Hope that helps but do ask for clarification if needs be. Some of the plastic pieces can be a bit tricky to remove.

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught
Hampton Caught

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeamsko Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:15 pm

so I took you guys advice and I found all of the items on ebay, I have bought the waterslide stripes and I have bought fine line tape the thickness of the inside section of the satin black leaving me with just
one stripe to insert.
this is all sound easy but I cant imagine the little 0.3mm stripe being easy to apply.
so going to try a colour change and see how we get on from there.
thanks for the help guys invaluable as always .........I will update you all on the project.
cheers eamon

sunbeamsko

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:52 pm

eamon - there is a technique i have used having messed up too many fine stripes over the years. Wet the decal until it is just starting to come loose. Whatever you do dont remove the decal from the backing. If you do that, its almost inevitable it will twist and tangle up or worse still you will forget which side is the sticky side! Simply inch the strip length ways until maybe 2 mm sticks off the end of the backing paper. Using fine tweezers, pin that down that against the body of the car and then with the backing paper touching the side of the car, slowly slide the decal backing paper away (length ways) letting the stripe settle on to the car. It wont be perfect unless you are very lucky but you will then only have to use the tweezers or a small brush to nudge the decal in to perfect position.

Good luck!
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down