Rally Model Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restoring "yellowed" white decals on white models

4 posters

Go down

Restoring "yellowed" white decals on white models Empty Restoring "yellowed" white decals on white models

Post  Sal the 2nd Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:02 pm

Just obtained a Minichamps 1/18 Clark RAC winning MK1 which is immaculate other than the rally door plates have now become yellowed/obvious rather than blending in as I assume they would have when new. Also have the same issue with a Kyosho Fiat 131. I'm sure I've read exposure to ultra violet light can help and/or Decalcote. What solutions are out there?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Sal the 2nd
Sal the 2nd

Back to top Go down

Restoring "yellowed" white decals on white models Empty Re: Restoring "yellowed" white decals on white models

Post  bmd Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:05 pm

hi chris, are they bad enough to consider replacing? i presume it wouldnt be hard if its only door plates? i have heard of folk exposing faded decals to sunlight for a few days and the yellow reverting back to white... i also have this issue on a Fiat 131 from years ago... never got around to sorting it...
bmd
bmd

Back to top Go down

Restoring "yellowed" white decals on white models Empty Re: Restoring "yellowed" white decals on white models

Post  CDM Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:30 am

Chris

Yes put the model on your window sill in the sunlight for a week or more and amazingly it will go back to white.

You dont need any chemicals just sunlight.

I currently have an old Starter kit that's painted white slowly going back to white in colour.

Old decal sheets equally will go clear as well.

Good luck
Chris

CDM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sal the 2nd Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:27 am

Thanks both

Will do some before and after shots for reference!

Cheers

Chris
Sal the 2nd
Sal the 2nd

Back to top Go down

Post  reeft1 Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:59 pm

agree - bright sunlight. One day i will test out the wifes UV nail light to see if that speeds the process
reeft1
reeft1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down